✅ Split a transaction into different categories

Can’t you use tags for this since your issue seems to be discoverability?

#gigs #double-glazing #Sunday-lunch-quiz-at-social-centre-in-aid-of-refugees

1 Like

Sorry, genuinely didn’t mean that and reading back don’t really see what you mean, haven’t directed anything at individuals I can see. In comparison, it seems more than one regular has made some directly insulting posts aimed at me. And yeah, if it’s not blindingly obvious why categories are mutually exclusive (that’s literally the definition of this implementation) I’m not sure people should be trusted with a debit card.

Would still be super interested how you would consistently categorise my transactions!

Tags would be the perfect solution. Is it possible to replace categories with them? If so it’s exactly equivalent to the idea of having multiple categories, right? And the same a s tag-based file system.

The issue with categories is it takes up time. The screen automatically pops up and I have to try and think through what would be the most logical category and then try to remember if the last time I used the same reasoning. Sometimes I’m not too sharp and this can really slow me down as a well-designed organisation system should mean that it’s immediately obvious where something goes.

A more precise list which had been actually thought out would obviously be preferable though.

yes. They have been for a while. They don’t autocomplete though so you would have to add new tags for every transaction that didnt fit into the preexisiting category system

Add them as notes and then they are searchable

No worries :slight_smile: It is hard to judge the tone of a message online but I’m glad it was all just a misunderstanding.

Looks like you’re onto something with tags as @Rat_au_van explained - I will leave you both to it :+1:

No need for this comment, not everyone knows everything you do.

Anyway, thanks for explaining. Not sure how making them exclusive makes it any better though. Surely the ability to tag one transaction with multiple (current) categories would be better for your example??

Dropping off this thread. I don’t heavily use categories but clearly you are passionate about this.

4 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Deleted posts 9/8

Locking temporarily while we deal with some flagged posts.

Hi team,

I’ve deleted a few posts that were escalating in this thread and am going to leave the thread locked for a few hours.

I totally sympathise with the feedback being shared in this thread – I too as a Monzo user have had the thought that Categories need improving! Is paying my rent “Finances,” “Bills,” “Expenses,” “Family,” or “General”? I have no idea!

As @Rat_au_van mentioned, the Tags feature is a great option for people who are super-committed to categorising their transactions. The search bar feature is also one I use for figuring out how much I’ve spent at any particular merchant.

I think, however, that we’ve said what needs to be said here in terms of feedback. I’ll certainly re-surface the feedback for the Main Account Squad, though as you’ve correctly picked up, we unfortunately do have to make different decisions at different times about how to prioritise what we’re building.

In the meantime, no need to argue with each other about it :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 6 hours.

I’ve seen this brought up time and time against, but never a clear answer. It either morphs into talks about searchability or custom categories.

Could we have a way, to take a single transaction, and split it into different categories for budgeting. Nothing fancy.

I went to Sainsbury’s this week, bought my groceries and also some clothes and some other bits and pieces. Now Monzo says I’ve blown my groceries budget when I haven’t.

It’d be great if I could simply select the transaction, and then say £20 was Shopping, £40 was entertainment and £40 was groceries.

Now my budgets show my spending correctly

The workaround at the moment is to pay with another card.

Then use a bank transfer in the amount per category.

Wow, that’s some ‘workaround’.

3 Likes

Not what I call a workaround. I call that “Use a different bank”

1 Like

Or make separate transactions.

3 Likes

Ha…

It does work though. For example if I pay for my grocery shop on my Tandem card. I just split the bank transfer up into the relevant areas. Plus that sweet 0.5% cashback!

Its a workaround in every sense of the word, maybe bodge would be better?

(Anyway all of this should be in here, along with your votes!)

2 Likes

No need for merchants to be involved at all. It’s simply the ability to click on the transaction and assign part of the amount to another category.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for the day where ALL retailers are on board with this and we can do away with physical paper receipts!

I want to be able to look up electronic item by item receipts and be able to split things into specific categories

2 Likes

When you withdraw an amount in cash, like 25GBP, it often is used for multiple purposes.
So instead of a single and generic entry, I would like to be able to split it and identify each portion like:
8 gifts, 5 transport, 10 grocery, 2 tips.

Thanks

You can add manual expenses on the Shared Tab with someone.

This isn’t Shared tabs - this is more like multiple categories on a single transaction - the same as ‘Split transactions’ in budgeting software.

For example, you withdraw £50 cash and spend £20 on food, £20 on drinks and £10 on a taxi

The feed entry shows only 1 debit (£50), but in reality it was used 3 different ways for budgeting purposes. So being able to apply ‘sub’ amounts/categories would resolve this.

5 Likes