Space X Starship TestFlight

You’ll never guess who is responsible for this…

For sake of completeness, here’s the receipt:

3 Likes

oh yeah I know, it wasn’t a just off the whim decision though - after the static fire they calculated that the fondag would be able to withstand it (which technically it could… in terms of the heat produced) it just didn’t withstand the loads, doesn’t help that they held the rocket down for several seconds and then it did a power slide

3 Likes

None of this is bad though. The fails experienced now (while very expensive) help to create a safer, more sustainable launch ecosystem. So long as the failures are acknowledged, accounted for & designed out of course.

3 Likes

and are very fun to watch!!

2 Likes

Lasted longer than last time!

2 Likes

It did. Disappointing, but if they figure out that weakness and fix it, there’s another obstacle overcome in getting people into space safely via Starship. And to be honest, if Starship did have crew on board today, they’d have been safe despite the RUD

Well done SpaceX team - here’s to Artemis III :rocket::full_moon::two::zero::two::five:

1 Like

Yeah - I think because of ‘the Elon Factor’ there’s a lot of commentators talking about how it was ‘another failure’ from SpaceX (and being secretly, or not so secretly happy about it) but I actually think this was a success.

They got to the hot staging stage, which was a success, and also the termination flight systems on both the booster and Starship itself appeared to have worked as planned (it seems that both bits terminated themselves using the early termination system rather than tearing themselves apart).

Personally - I suspect it’ll be Flight 5 before they complete the ‘almost full’ orbit with splash down in the Pacific.

2 Likes

This agrees with you, Ars is a very respectable site:

Tangentially related; scientists appear to have discovered the home of the Clangers.

3 Likes