Improving visibility of Bank Statements

All very true and a solid response
Your last paragraph is something worth while persuing.
I can give an example when applying for a mortgage the amount of statements that both I and my wife had to provide was just silly
I had Smile and she had HSBC. Yes my smile statements did raise an eyebrow in comparison.
I was fortunate enough to be able to use my Starling app to provide the proof of my new bank details when asking the pay office to change my bank detail. But this was a first and far from the norm. Definitely the way forward

1 Like

@Peter_G
Might have to wait till tomorrow

1 Like

One flaw with the Starling statements though is that they don’t show the merchant’s name, only the reference.

And that is under the transaction column :face_with_monocle:

Maybe we could recommend that this be changed :nerd_face:

The only problem I can see is that some banks only accept statements that have been sent from the current account bank and certified by them, as opposed to a general printout. For example, when trying to open a Help to Buy ISA with Barclays. As such, will Monzo still send certified statements out by post? Or not? The changes seem great for in app integration, but I can’t see it being the complete solution.

1 Like

Yes they do -

2 Likes

The feature works great. Is it possible for the file name to reflect the end date of the statement rather than just the date saved and a random number?

3 Likes

When I wrote the above, and I assumed the monthly statements would be available in Q I F format only to find that they’re only available as PDF. I’m sorry, but this is a real downer. Please, please could you add an option to choose either PDF or QIF.

and CSV

Quick bit of feedback: at the moment PDFs are named with a date/time stamp of when the statements are generated. It’d be super-handy if these could be for the period they’re relating to (e.g. the first date). If you need to add the generation date/time, add that at the end (so files will sort by the time period that they refer to).

So for a statement that starts the period of 1st February 2018, instead of Monzo_Bank_Statement_[Initials]_2018_03_03_182149 you have Monzo_Bank_Statement_[Initials]_2018_02_01

(Or, if you absolutely need it Monzo_Bank_Statement_[Initials]_2018_02_01_2018_03_03_182149)

Just a little thing, but really helps out after downloading…

4 Likes

I rename mine as soon as it’s downloaded. Everyone will have a different way they file though…

Sure, but who files by download date? :slight_smile:

(I’m not fixed on that format, btw - just a more logical way of knowing what’s in the PDF…)

1 Like

Going forward, download date would be right, if you download your monthly statements at the first day of the next month :smile:

Ah yes, the tried and tested “make the user fix the way they work” approach :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly! Monzo are changing the way we bank so may as well change the way we file too, right?!

All joking aside, I agree with your suggestion. And I’m fairly confident it will get fixed, I just doubt it’s high on their list (which I’m sure you already know) :monzo:

1 Like

Great minds :wink:

2 Likes

:raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

but higher than Apple Pay only joking

2 Likes

You can choose QIF (and CSV) when exporting from the monthly spending or search screens, and this has been available for a couple of years. Have you tried that?

1 Like

I’d been using the monthly spending screen but had been handicapped by only being able to export the current month or my entire history. I had completely missed the ability to export individual months from the search screen – thanks for pointing out the existence of this, I think it will meet my needs.

1 Like