Sky Glass and Sky Stream

OLED is better by some distance. With OLED each pixel is separately lit, which means you get true blacks and each pixel separately controlled. QLED is still backlit like an older LED set, which means you don’t get true blacks and the pixels still bleed into each other to some extent.

But OLED is also a premium technology, QLED is a variation on LED which is an older / budget tech.

You can always go to a TV store and watch the screens of course! But most people will strongly prefer the OLED screens, even if they don’t prefer the OLED prices :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The new LG OLED screens look so good. In part I’m sure it’s how they are set up in store, but they do stand out.

But they are twice the price of a QLED.

1 Like

Sky Glass seems like a good idea, if you need a TV and want Sky anyway - sure there are better TV’s available, but it seems like a good enough deal

1 Like

No my friend has one and they really are that good. Like, every time he switches it on I’m taken aback by how good it looks.

2 Likes

When I was looking for a new TV, I briefly considered if just a computer monitor would be best. I don’t want a smart TV as I’ve got Apple TV and external speakers anyway.

However, at the moment it looks like to get a computer monitor the size of a ‘large’ (40"+) it costs much more than just getting a smart TV (£900+?)

Monitors are designed for much closer viewing, they have faster refresh rates and stuff to accompany that. Not stuff you need if you are going to sit <1m away really

I agree. When I’ve looked at them, they definitely give that “Wow” and then I get home and my LED seems hugely meh.

My trouble is that I want bigger if I get a new tv and if I want OLED, the price really does ramp up.

Definitely not my use case. My Fire Stick and Chromecast remotes control my sound bar fine so volume is no issue. They also have home buttons which switch to their inputs so works for me. Night shift on a TV is a travesty IMHO! Why would you want to mess with a properly calibrated picture?!!! :man_shrugging:

I wouldn’t rely on any company for years of updates, let alone decades. Just personal preference. And even if they do come, they also aren’t necessarily timely.

I’m sure there are sets with very high build quality, but in my experience the floor these days is pretty high. My £400 TVs aren’t meaningfully less durable than my £1k+ set. My three kids (who all seem to think that TVs are touchscreen!) can all attest to this :frowning_face:

This isn’t the tech addict, no expenses spared Revels I know!

Buy the TV you know you want it

2 Likes

Oh I will, I just have to get it through the budget review first :cry:

1 Like

They’ve dropped in price massively. My brother paid something like £1800 for his 65’ LG. Nowadays they’re in the £1300 to £1500 range.

The smaller 48” ones are in the £800 range.

1 Like

It’s accessibility for me. Migraines. Plus I think tv screens look better with a yellower hue than bright blue lights. If something like this interferes with your calibration, then it wasn’t calibrated very well at all. A correctly calibrated screen should have a more night shift-like hue to it anyway.

As does my Xbox remote and Apple TV remotes (though I don’t use the latter anymore). This issue is what happens when you try to adjust the volume with Apple TV. It thinks you’re turning it on and switches to that input, with no way of switching back to the Xbox without controlling the TV itself somehow. I can do this with my iPad, or voice assistant, assuming the TV firmware supports it, so is an important component for me. Smart firmware, not smart apps, is what I want out of a TV OS.

My TV isn’t something I want to be replacing every few years to keep up with connectivity upgrades that could be pushed through firmware updates though. It’s still important that TVs are patched for security vulnerabilities and bug fixes too, though most aren’t. They’re more dangerous to your home network than printers, it’s gotten that bad. A TV is a hardware appliance I’d expect to last until at least the next breakthrough innovation, not something I want to be upgrading every few years.

Honestly the build quality difference between a £850 Loewe One and a £2000 LG G1 is night and day. The £850 Loewe is built much better. The LG has a better screen, but it’s closer than you might think, and the Loewe sounds a heck of a lot better. What you seem to be paying for these days is size and the screen tech, everything else gets cheaped out on. I’d much rather pay a premium for better components, better build quality, and better support for the life of the product. It’s why I buy from the likes of Ubiquiti, Apple, and Loewe. We’re short on companies like them, and if Sky can offer similar, I’m all for it.

2 Likes

Both of you @ravipatel and @N26throwaway seem to be purchasing TVs and setups that suit your own needs and that is great. Different strokes for different folks.

2 Likes

Indeed. @N26throwaway is far too particular (in general) to try to convince. :wink:

I’m just more interested in his thought process.

1 Like

It’s a shame TV’s are so ugly.

Trying to decide between Sky Glass (arguably the best all round package and most convenient), Samsung Frame (probably the best looking, or at least the most unobtrusive), or an LG oled (which I do admit look good, but they don’t seem to do them in anything less than 48inches, and I don’t really want a enormous TV).

Okay I have a scenario.

You buy Sky Glass TV, later down the line you decide you want to cancel Sky as a service.

Sky being the OS of the TV, they could basically brick the TV if you dont have Sky right?

1 Like

No not really it’s got an aerial input and HDMI, they’ll not be bricking anything if you decide to cancel when a contract expires.

I think we need to wait for some clarity on this from Sky. Whilst you could certainly use the TV without a Sky subscription, they do say Sky Ultimate is required for Sky Glass. It’s only on a 31 day rolling contract, but we don’t know whether we can still use the TV if we cancel the subscription after 31 days.

Ah, now it’s finally sounding like an Apple product to me

The whole presentation, showcase & product videos have an Apple vibe to it! :sweat_smile: