Simple Questions Thread (Newbie friendly 🙂)

Hello, I’m thinking of opening a business account with Monzo but before I do, can anyone here confirm the following:

1. if the Monzo business account offers the ability to make international payments?
  2. If Monzo international payments are powered by Transferwise so I would get the same forex rate as I would with them?
    Many thanks in advance for your time in answering my questions.
    Neil
1 Like

I live in an area where a lot of places are cashless (some pubs), a lot of places have a minimum spend for using card (almost any of the small convenience stores), and some that don’t take card at all (some restaurants)…

My question - those places that have minimum spend for card I assume they get charged for taking a card transaction. Can anyone tell me how much that charge is?

Hi

I need to transfer funds from my saving to current but I lost my phone last night, the emergency online function doesn’t have that facility and without it I won’t be able to buy a new phone…please advise

Phone the number on the back of your card

I can’t, no phone…

Ok, so if you can’t borrow a phone or use a phone box then you can email help@monzo.com but it’ll take a few days for a reply

Or tweet them

Yeah I did, what I’ll do is look for a payphone on the street somewhere that still works…do those even still exist in London?

Not sure I’d trust a phone box to discuss banking stuff. Borrowing a phone might be more realistic

There are quite a few options:

1. Click and collect online or pay for expedited delivery on a new phone by using Paypal (or similar) as it will take a few days to come out of your account.
  2. Borrow a trusted friends phone to install the Monzo app and transfer the money
  3. Borrow any phone, use a work phone, a payphone etc to call Monzo
  4. Email Monzo making sure it is very detailed to minimise back and forth but expect several days if not weeks
  5. Borrow some money of a friend, colleague, family member to buy a phone on the promise it will be immediately returned

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head but plenty of options there :sweat_smile:

Personally I’d do #5

2 Likes

If I upgrade to Monzo Plus I can create Virtual Credit Cards and use these to pay for items bought online. The money spent comes from the balance of my account. How does billing address work? I want to be able to shop for items in the U.S.A, for example, and have a card that is for that country. Is that possible?

If you upgrade to plus you can create virtual cards. These are not credit cards. Money is taken from your main balance when you spend on these.

So in your case, you’d create a virtual card - visit the website you want to buy from and input the virtual card details. It’s up to you what shipping address you input as that is done on the website.

Just moved house, updated my personal details as has my partner, can I assume our joint account cards are now also registered to our new address? Can’t find anywhere to update the address of my joint account card…

Thanks in advance smiley face thumbs up

Joint accounts are connected to your personal account and one cannot be without the other so they share the same personal details.

So if you’ve updated your address and your partner has updated theirs too, then yes. You’re all good :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks vm

i want indian people to use monzoooo like how it works in united kingdom

Big market to crack.

I’ve never heard of India as a specific target market - although I’m not sure Monzo could make money work for everyone without ending up the eventually.

Apologise if this has been asked before. I keep most of my money in pots then take it out to spend so my ‘balance’ is sometimes only a few £ until I move money around.
If I try to make a transaction with insufficient funds in my main account area - what will happen? Will it be declined? Will Monzo choose a pot at random to get the funds (the pots aren’t locked)? Will I go into an unauthorised overdraft?
Thanks

Yes, it’ll be declined, but you’ll be given chance to transfer money into the main account throughout the day until the transaction will be retried again later that day.

No

You’ll go ovedrawn only if you have an overdraft. If not, you won’t become overdrawn.

If you don’t have an overdraft it will be declined

The only exception is if it’s a direct debit or standing order and you’ve selected to pay it from a bills pot. Then it will take money from the selected pot and if there’s not enough in that from the main account. If there’s not enough in either it will decline

1m

I’m fairly new to Monzo and I think it’s great. I used it on holiday in S Africa without any problem. I downloaded the App on my phone and again used it without issues. However about a month ago the App seemed to change in that I was unable to log in with my security code. It appeared to be a completey new App where I had to register or log in whereas before I only had to put my code in and I don’t know why the change. I went through the motions of logging in and an e mail link was sent to my e mail from this address - auth+3awnuo4g72q3@monzomail.com so my question is: is this genuine or some kind of phishing attempt? Thank you