Shoutiness of loan notifications

Sorry Phil. I’m trying to think of a reply. But I keep getting distracted by hundreds of monzo notifications asking me to apply for a personal loan because I only have £0.10 in my account. Gimme a second

1 Like

Solutions. Now this is real discourse right here. I mean to be fair that is a good idea. Maybe create a post under ideas so people can vote for it

People don’t think the same way, people have various mental states and financial issues.

To you if you have 10p sitting there Monzo probably classes it as an inactive account. You would be a bad loan customer.

If you had a significant incoming payment and you ran it down to 10p each month then you’re probably living paycheck to paycheck which is an ideal candidate.

I don’t think monzo would ever share their targeting for marketing. Too sensitive for competition. We as consumers will never know :weary:

I didn’t “have it turned on” as if it were an active choice. It was added as a new setting and turned on without my knowledge, presumably when lending was added to the app.

When I started using Monzo I set my preferences: I was okay with ‘news’ of new products, but didn’t sign up thinking I’d be pestered multiple times in a week for the same thing. Being informed once is sufficient.

The concern is that Monzo is going to pester not just me but people who are in a precarious financial situation and who, in spite of saying ‘No’ the first time, are asked soon after a second and perhaps a third time. To me that’s predatory and unethical and, yes, if that were the modus operandi then I would stop using Monzo over it, in spite of all the other great stuff Monzo has generally done with the product.

I doubt they’d be accepted for a loan. They’re quite strict

No bank would ever be fully transparent about marketing or how loans are offered. Monzo staff revealing could face the sack if they did, unless an ex-employee did one of those Reddits ask me anything.

I would say the bad taste in the OP from having two pushed in quick succession is a valid concern but to someone else just a trivial coincidence.

Let’s say for just a minute that the OP is telling the truth. Nothings going to happen by posting it here.

They are better off messaging Monzo and complaining if they feel they are being taken advantage of based on their personal situation.

It’s always been there I’m sure. I remember it in the old UI years ago

I think you need to chat with a COp in the app, or email complaints@monzo.com, so you can put your concerns to Monzo directly. So far the only people commenting here have been members of the public like you. So if you to be sure Monzo get the message, it’s worth taking one of those steps.

2 Likes

It hasn’t always been there because Monzo first test ran personal loans in 2018, and the Android app has been around since 2016.

They had overdrafts before loans and advertised these when they moved from Prepaid debit to current accounts.

No point in carrying this conversation if we can’t prove it. If your so upset with Monzo then email customer advocacy team and make a complaint.

@AlanDoe tagging you to decide on closing this thread as it’s just…. not going to go any further than bickering.

I’m going to put my phone in Do Not Disturb mode tonight for the first time ever. I don’t want to hear a money crashing sound and a notification to apply for a loan all night :cold_face::skull:

Thanks for the advice. I came here to provide feedback openly because I was curious if others had had a similar experience, but also because the forum is called feedback and suggestions and I had both feedback and suggestions.

It’s quite possible I was in a test group, there are many plausible possibilities. The main concern was letting Monzo know.

1 Like

Hey there @Juno_Hu

I’m a product manager working in Borrowing :wave:

Thanks for taking the time to post some feedback on your experience.

I’d really like to know more about how you ended up with an experience that felt too noisy. It’s something we spend a lot of time thinking about so feedback from real experiences is really valuable! Would you mind if I take a look at the messages we’ve sent to your account?

9 Likes

Hi Connor, thanks for reaching out and by all means you can dig into the data.

In the meantime I have received an email about loans, too.

While I know now that there’s a special notification about loans that I can turn off, what feels most appropriate (as per my previous notes above) is a way to opt out the first time I receive a communication on this topic and for this to take effect on both app notifications and emails.

I’d be okay with a reminder perhaps once per year to see if my situation has changed, but getting many comms in a short space of time is not respecting my needs or my time. I liken it to a salesperson who keeps knocking on your door every other day to see if you changed your mind, but never stops to take a breath so you have an opportunity to make your lack of interest clear.

It means Monzo is becoming a source of spam instead of insights and useful solutions to my problems.

1 Like

(screenshot removed)

Today I got a push Notification that my ‘loan application’ was going to expire soon. I also have a news item at the top of my feed.

Note: I left notifications enabled because I want to see how Monzo is treating customers who don’t discover the notification option immediately. My current opinion is that Monzo definitely needs to provide a ‘no thank you’ or direct link to the notification management settings to avoid any accusation of preying on the financially vulnerable. For a company that pioneered the Gambling Block, in my opinion this is failing to live up to the ethical banking principles originally presented.

1 Like

I think the difference is you looked into getting a loan, therefore showed an interest. It’s not that they’re spamming all customers with this when they’ve never looked into loans

But a ‘I don’t want to proceed’ option would be good

5 Likes

It’s quite plausible that I looked into the loan process because I’m an investor so I’m interested in their product development.

Looks like it’s just a standard reminder then after going through the partial sign up process. At least you can dismiss that prompt there with the 3 dots. Not as good as a no sorry I’m not interested button, but it’s something… For now