Shenmue 1 & 2 Re-Release!

I am so happy about this!!!

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/13/17237006/shenmue-1-2-hd-rerelease-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Ahead of the release of the long-awaited Shenmue 3 either late this year or early next, it seems Sega have gotten their ducks in a row and sorted out a re-release of the first two games.

I still have my original Shenmue 1 & 2 on Dreamcast, and also Shenmue 2 on the original Xbox, but I will definitely be picking this up for PS4 again. I’ve probably played through both games a dozen times each over the years, but every experience has been different!

SHENMUE1_2_PS4_2DPACK_WEB_US

I think the most important thing though, is that it means people who have been interested in playing Shenmue 3 but never played the first two will get the chance to, so they won’t have to go in cold.

I’ll be interested to see if the games are still “separate” on the disc, or if they’ve essentially linked it together as one game. For the people who played 1 on DC and 2 on Xbox, it was jarring that the items you collected in the first game didn’t transfer over (as they did on Dreamcast) since you obviously couldn’t import the save file from another console. So it’s great that people will be able to do that :grinning:

4 Likes

You have made my day @simonb !

2 Likes

So glad that PC is included too!

1 Like

Please what is this game about

2 Likes

:wave: This is me. I backed Shenmue on Kickstarter and I’m so excited for it, but I’ve not played 1 or 2 so this is great news that I will get to play the previous titles!

2 Likes

I’m excited for you!!! Those games changed my life.

3 Likes

It basically pioneered the entire open-world genre.

It’s set in the 1980s in Japan and China. You play Ryo Hazuki, a young martial arts instructor avenging the death of his father :grinning: If you want to know more than that… check YouTube or Wikipedia :grinning:

3 Likes

I just realised that Shenmue 1 & 2 are to be released on 21st August! So close! I knew they were out this year but I missed the release day announcement so just in case you had missed it too.

On Xbox, PS4 and PC for clarification.

1 Like

Yep, had my pre-order in for a while. Looking forward to seeing how the remaster looks. I replayed both games 3 years ago after the Shenmue 3 announcement at E3 2015 and they were just as engrossing as ever.

It’ll be nice to play them in a continuous sequence. That’s actually never fully been possible before, because Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast was with Japanese audio and only English subtitles, and obviously Shenmue 1 was never on the Xbox (the only place the English audio Shenmue 2 was released). Obviously I played all versions still haha.

Gonna spend some time buying as many capsule toys as possible in Shenmue 1 before you lose all of your money at the beginning of Shenmue 2 :joy:

2 Likes

I played it obsessively between release and around 2004 (went to university) but not really played it since. Even though I still have both original games and the Xbox release, I tried to get it emulated but it wasn’t really that good so waited until I could buy Dreamcast VGA cables… which I never did.

One thing I do remember about Shenmue 1, and hope to do again, is that one of the days you are at the docks to do the fork lift job, you could indefinitely repeat one of those days due to how to was coded to move the story on. I remember doing that brief couple of days job for weeks in-game so that I got a lot of money to use in Shenmue 2. Well… as you say you lost it all… :exploding_head: …so I’ll need to spend it before the end of 1.

I wonder if you will get an ‘extras’ option (like the Shenmue Passport disk). I still listen to the Official Soundtrack often!

2 Likes

What you can actually do is buy all the Zippo lighters in Pigeon Park before Wong steals your bag. Then simply sell them all to the local pawn shops to get most of the money back.

2 Likes

August 27, 2019 for Shenmue 3 :tada: :partying_face:

2 Likes

And a new trailer!!!

1 Like

Woo! Its finally out. :smiley:

PNG

1 Like

Is that a downloaded version?

I ordered physical, and Amazon charged my card last night so I presume it’s shipped! Should show up today or tomorrow I guess.

1 Like

I bought the Steam version and it only activated at 3pm. It has been a long day!

I may pick up a physical copy at some point to add to my Dreamcast and Xbox versions.

1 Like

Definitely. This group is getting a friend for the first time in 16 years!

IMG_20180821_160806

3 Likes

Oh my, I shouldn’t buy this now… But I will…

2 Likes

Just got a dispatch confirmation that it’s arriving tomorrow!

1 Like

So I’ve been playing this for about twenty hours now and since about ten hours I’ve been getting increasingly hit by a camera bug that ruins cut scenes unless I do a game reload

Anyone else getting this and have any idea how to fix it?