Partially settle a Shared Tab

It would be nice to be able to pay a tab only partially if the amount of money in the account is not enough to pay it 100%.

I found myself in a position when I want to repay immediately part of it but I can (example shared monthly mortgage ) but I don’t need to repay the rest.

We’d love to use the shared tab but It cannot work like that.

Could it be useful?

We could use the “request money” feature but we want to keet track of all transactions in the shared tab, it is easier.

6 Likes

I would have found this really useful a number of times.

Would also be able to set scheduled payments into Shared Tabs so you can pay them off over a period of time or on pay day.

4 Likes

Just been looking how to do this. We’ve built up a large shared tab and just want a part of it paid off… Can’t find any way of doing it?

3 Likes

Would also love this feature

2 Likes

I have to agree with this. The only way I’ve found to keep track of the tab and still settle only part of the total value is this:

Let’s say I have a tab with me and one other person. In the tab I owe them £200 for a flight on a holiday but I only have £100 to spare right now.
I send them £100 directly (outside of the tab) and then add that transaction to the shared tab and say they owe me the full £100.
This seems a bit counter intuitive, but it does work out mathematically as it reduces the amount I owe them by £100.

It’s a bit of a pain, but it does the job for now.

For sure I’d much rather an option to partially settle a shared tab though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a such needed feature.

I have just got my girlfriend on Monzo, and having a shared tab is great… in practice.
The ability to pay off individual items is a must, as my girlfriend gets paid weekly and may not be able to afford to pay off the complete debt.
The only alternative is to pay for items outside of the tab and remove items, but this isn’t intuitive.

3 Likes

Is this an unadvertised Monzo Plus benefit? :joy::joy:

5 Likes

haha, its an add on :wink:

1 Like

This is definitely a must. After a holiday with my girlfriend, it turns out I owed her quite a bit.

One click of a button and it all went! The shared pot is such a fantastic feature, this I think, would perfect it!

1 Like

This sounds like something that shouldnt actually take that much time to implement but would make a massive difference.

Hope im not too presumptuous on that

3 Likes

Solid vote for this from me. Set up a shared tab for buying a house with my partner (solicitor payments, housing survey, etc) so it grew quite large pretty fast, and we were kind of astonished that it wasn’t possible to make a partial payment.

It would be even better if you could set up a recurring monthly payment that automatically terminates when the balance is fully paid

6 Likes

Hi there,

Completely agree! I have a large shared tab (IKEA and a whole bunch of other costs bundled together) and I get so depressed looking at it because I can’t settle it all in one go!

Would love this feature! :slight_smile: Otherwise shout out to Monzo for creating a really user-friendly app!

Cheers,
Edward

3 Likes

New MONZO user here. Like others, my girlfriend gets paid weekly and the ability to pay off a monthly bill little by little would be a great feature.

Thanks!

You can now add recurring payments to a shared tab. If there was any regularity to the size of the tab you could schedule a recurring payment to deduct from the tab:

Add scheduled payment
Payements -> Scheduled -> + -> Enter their bank details (yes, even if they’re on Monzo)

Add scheduled payment to Shared Tab
Payments -> Shared -> Tab -> + New Payment ADD -> Add recurring bills -> select the recurring payment

1 Like

Would be a big fan of this being added to the app. Very cumbersome for manual workarounds.

I’d really love the ability to partially pay a tab. I’m using my bonus to pay a decorator and the payment will be added to our shared tab for home improvements but my husband can’t repay half in one go so I’d have to wait 2-3 months to get anything using the shared tab :frowning:
We want to use the tab as it’s good to track how much we’re actually spending on the house but having to pay all in one go is quite restrictive.

5 Likes

Has anyone heard/know about this being in the pipe line? Or do we need to keep shouting for it?

Nothing has been announced. Make sure you vote for it at the top and if it gets enough then it will get the attention of Monzo :slight_smile:

In my eyes anyway once plus gets released with split/custom categories this should be one of the higher priorities :pray:

Bump.

Even being able to add any credits you’ve received, then splitting that between the tab members, would help. Just so you can manually chip away at a shared tab.

Any update on where this is on the roadmap?

2 Likes