The Current Account Switch Service (CASS)

And the live counter has just hit 80k :tada::tada::tada:

2 Likes

Is there any exposed API that lets us see these figures (and the queue length)? I am addicted to watching the Monzo stats :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Agree that CASS should be a priority now that so many accounts are active.

7 Likes

I[quote=“Feathers, post:80, topic:16007”]
How does a lack of CASS prevent her from at least activating the card and using it in the same manner as she used the prepaid?
[/quote]

I think you’ve answered your own question - until the pre paid is switched off she is just going to keep using that as she does not have time to sit down and spend a couple of hours manually contacting companies or logging in to online accounts that she rarely does like our Eon account to update her new bank details - It took me a while to do it but I did it - if I was not an investor in Monzo I would not of bothered upgrading to be honest asit took a while to switch over and was incredibly tedious.

Come on Monzo get Current Account switching sorted or start losing your lead on the competition.

I’m slightly confused :confused:. Why would activating the card and using the current account the exact same was as the prepaid mean changing utility direct debits over? You couldn’t do these sorts of things with the prepaid so presumably they’re still taken from another non-Monzo account

4 Likes

OK, but it still doesn’t really make sense to me. Switching from prepaid to Current Account takes 3 Minutes in-app with no need to contact anyone. :thinking:

3 Likes

First direct offer to send your SO and DD to a new bank if you do the reverse ‘CASS’ with them:

‘to switch an account from us to a non-CASS provider just contact us. We’d be sad to see you go but we understand these things happen so we’ll send a list of your Direct Debits and Standing Orders to your new account provider as quick as we can, normally within 5 working days. We’ll then work with them to transfer and close your account if you want to.’

Will this work for monzo? I want to switch but cant be doing with manually changing SO/DDs

3 Likes

You do not have to use your Monzo current account as your sole bank account. You don’t have to replace your ‘current’ current account. If anyone wants to just use their Monzo CA exactly like the prepaid account, you can. The one difference might be debit card top-ups potentially costing a fee but you can do a bank transfer into the account for free (and perhaps set up a standing order if you top up the same amount on a regular basis). Simples!

2 Likes

Is there any update on this @tristan? It was moved to Near Term (3-6 months) by you on the roadmap in July which means that it should be up and running by the end of this month? :wink:

Well but for some 3 minutes is three minutes, why bother? If they’re not going to use the new features, why bother switching until they get a big warning that they must do because the old cards are being switched off?

Some potential reasons -
1 The payment provider is less flakey, but Monzo aren’t exactly going to shout that in-app are they?
2 CA costs Monzo less for you to use - if you’re not a superfan, why care? (you monster)
3 Cool factor / upgrade excitement / the new shiny - again, people who aren’t fans aren’t going to care, it’s just some pink (sic) card that I use occasionally, not really fussed yeah?

2 Likes

I think this will change as Monzo start contacting people about upgrading. From next week, customer support hours for the prepaid card will be reduced, and early next year the card will stop working. When people are told about this (email, notification, etc.) I imagine they will be a lot more likely to upgrade, so that they can have uninterrupted service.

I wonder whether this will be the case if they’ve had no incentive for upgrading. My colleagues all have (had) a fee-free international card for cash and transactions. The way they view it is it was good while it lasted but I don’t need a current account, I have one already. That’s the reality for many.

Of course. I know of the journey and I upgraded from prepaid to current account. I’m keeping an eye on Monzo. :wink:

I don’t know about anyone else, but now I have my current account, it’d be a great story if Monzo could get CASS out before the New Year, so all my Monzo data (transactions, number of transactions for a particular merchant, average spend, spending reports etc.) is completely accurate for the whole year when I wish to look back on it on 1 January 2019 :tada:

Please, please furnish us with this Christmas present, Monzo.

3 Likes

I can’t wait for CASS to become available. My card is sat here waiting for the new year sales, can’t risk moving my pay over until the DDs are migrated. Too many to move manually :slight_smile:

5 Likes

According to the Transparent Road map it should be…

Hi Simon, what’s the update? The current account has now been launched to everyone. I can’t wait to start using it but need the switching service. Thanks, Andrea

The topic header is misleading as it is “within 7 working days” NOT 7 days… so potentially 9 days on a normal week or 10 or 11 if bank holidays involved

2 Likes

Hi Andrea!

We’re hoping to launch in Q1 I believe, but I’m afraid I can’t be more specific than that. All hands are on deck to complete migration at the moment!

2 Likes

Good point, Johnny. .

It’s also interesting to note that a sizeable number of account holders at Monzo and Starling are new to banking per se, which itself adds a layer of uncertainty / anxiety on top of the whole CASS - DD - SO and who knows what else. :flushed:

It is a little suprising that this wasn’t prioritised before migration to current accounts began. Monzo is supposed to be solving the annoying problems of banking, instead i’ve spent over a week ringing companies in my lunchtime trying to get direct debits cancelled and then set up with the new provider.

8 Likes