The Current Account Switch Service (CASS)

I think if you want to keep the old account open, you have to do it manually. CASS seems to force closure.

I knew about that one, and I’m not at all fussed about closing my account. Just wondering if I needed to psych myself up to do something manually…

I think if you’re happy to close, it’s pretty slick

1 Like

Think you can do a partial switch that doesn’t force closure

Using this service only closes the current account you specify, right? IE it doesn’t affect any loans / ISA you have with the old bank?

Think so, yes. It would be very unpopular otherwise!

I thought so, but wanted to confirm before I did it as it’s gonna be a nightmare if HSBC decide to close all 3 for some reason!

See Partial Switch
http://www.bacs.co.uk/Services/accountswitchingservice/pages/accountswitchingservice.aspx

No need to close existing account

With some banks those products are tied to the account.

For example with first direct, they refused to accept closure of the account until I paid off the loan I had with them (they also refused to allow me to pay the loan from another bank), and when I did close the account it automatically closed the credit card.

You can, but it doesn’t redirect payments / come with the switching guarantee etc

Would it be sufficient for the purposes of getting switching rewards ;)?

Often not! They often want a full switch

1 Like

I suspect not. I’m fairly sure that a lot of these rewards require you to close another account to get the rewards - they’re not that daft :wink:

3 Likes

It is generally assumed if you wish to leave your existing account open you wouldn’t need payments redirected. You can elect which DD and standing orders you want moved though.

1 Like

I have noticed that the roll out of current accounts seems to be going very slowly.

Yet when my wife chose to upgrade she got her card within 48 hours with that kind of speed surely Monzo should have issued over 100,000 cards by now OR are users simply not bothering to switch and could this be because there is no switching service.

When my wife found out there was no switching she put the card in the draw and said she did not have time to switch manually and would not have bothered if she had known.

This could be a problem

1 Like

I think the lack of a Seven Day Switching Service is the main reason that I haven’t switched fully yet. I just don’t trust myself with being able to switch everything over, and close my account, without making a mistake and being penalised for it. I can’t be the only one.

1 Like

I only had half a dozen things to worry about, (SO’s / DD’s) as well as anywhere my card was linked to, Amazon etc.

But if you go through one by one on the DD list of your ‘old’ bank you’ll be done super quickly :slight_smile:

And as long as you don’t close your old account before you’re 100% sure everything’s moved over you won’t be bitten by penalties :slight_smile:

I’ve been using Monzo as my main account for months now and it’s been flawless. (I had to move everything manually) hope this helps! :grinning:

1 Like

Cards have gone out to all existing prepaid customers who have asked to be upgraded I think. Certainly all of the upgrade offers have been made, since @JordanFish stated yesterday that they’ve now started inviting new customers onto the Current Account.

How does a lack of CASS prevent her from at least activating the card and using it in the same manner as she used the prepaid?

It’s interesting that you think that. I’m quite a worrier but everything went off for me without any issues - I already had anything possible going out through the prepaid

We’ve sent out 101,896 cards for upgrades so far, and 1,160 cards for new Current Account signups (people that never had a prepaid) :sunny:

15 Likes