Service not as described - chargeback?

I suggest you go and get some decent advice from somewhere like Which? (They have a legal service), from Citizen’s Advice Bureau (as has already been suggested) or make a small claim (as has been recommended).

The difficulty here is that you’re asking for advice but being cagey with the circumstances. I’m not sure anyone will be able to give the advice you need without being in receipt of the facts.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like the company has behaved unreasonably …but …we not really understanding what’s happened and it’s only your side of the story.

Either way, I do hope that you can get it resolved. Good luck.

4 Likes

This is 100% legal. Many places do it.

You book a hotel room and don’t pay extra for the flexi version, if you cancel an hour before check-in, you aren’t getting any money back.

1 Like

Had the same with my Super Saver rate airport parking.

Holiday cancelled, but could not get money back for parking that would now be unused because of that cancellation.

It wasn’t about the cancellation itself. I totally accept the risk of booking a non-cancellable holiday. It’s about the service being different to what is advertised.

2 Likes

Yeah sorry, I didn’t mean for you, I just meant in general.

1 Like

The scenarios are slightly different, though. The OP is cancelling because the contract has not been fulfilled.

The equivalent here would actually be the hotel saying flex check-in at 10am, then changing it to 2pm

DId you pay online? If so if you return within (I think!) 14 days you could be covered through Distance Selling Regulations too, and that might be the quickest and easiest avenue to go through.

2 Likes

I believe that only products not services

Yeah that’s right, DSR is only for goods, not services.

Can a transaction be disputed twice? It looks like the bank omitted to mention in the initial dispute that the service delivered was different from what was originally provided, and in this case it seems like a second dispute with this information would be likely to succeed. Maybe start with a formal complaint to the bank saying that they mishandled your dispute, and see what they can do from there? If the amount involved is low enough they might just pay it out themselves out of pocket.

1 Like

What the bank can do once they get a defence from the other party is send back a counter argument. So essentially it goes back and forth between the two banks.

Ok, so you booked a holiday and then cancelled it minutes later?

To get any proper advice, you need to explain how the service they were going to provide differed from what you expected/was advertised, how long the period from the cancellation to the holiday was and if you knew if the T&C said the holiday was non refundable before you booked it.

It was a different destination.

1 Like

How different? A different city, country, hotel?

If a hotel, was it a similar * rating as the original? You need to stop being so vague - you’re not doing yourself any favours

If it was a package holiday, then it sounds like a breach of the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992.

Regulations 11, 12 and 13 are enforced by http://www.tradingstandards.uk/

1 Like

As I explained, I can’t give any specifics because it’s now one step away from County Court action.

It was a different destination. And it wasn’t a package holiday.

In that case it doesn’t matter what anyone on here says. Seems like it’s all in hand and I’m sure justice will prevail.

This isn’t Hollywood. They are not going to turn up in court with print outs from a forum post that they don’t know is you.

1 Like

I mean, I’ve given as much detail as I can: it was a hotel booking, the location was different to the one advertised, they refused to refund.

But how different?

Was it still the same star hotel?

If you booked for London and you were given a hotel in Brighton then fair enough, if it’s not far away, it probably says in their terms they can swap you.