Sent from Monzo

There’s a search function on Discourse, I think you’ll find that Monzo staff have been aware of the Post Office for some time.

1 Like

Awareness is different from actively pursuing something

What is it with threads on this community recently? Please can we at least try to stay on topic? Plenty of alternative threads to discuss Post Office deposits.

All that will happen is the thread will get locked again.

8 Likes

Agreed, this seems like the ideal solution. Will be particularly helpful for paying credit card bills (my time is so important, I need to save those two taps :joy:).

3 Likes

It’s good they have scrapped it. They should be discouraging people from using generic or blank references. In five years time it would be good to be able to know what a transaction was for which can only be achieved with an accurate reference.

1 Like

Hi all, a lot of flags have popped up on this thread. So I’m temporarily closing it while we respond to those.

Edit: I’m leaving this closed permanently.

Thank you.

1 Like

I think a little bit of nuance is required. At Monzo we don’t always operate in the manner that a traditional company would, much less any other financial companies.

So, to frame this as “Monzo did something, we didn’t like it and therefore Monzo stopped doing it” is somewhat reductive - it infers that we make “final” decisions based on assumptions. All the talk I’ve seen internally about this specific thing always included the word test or trial or experiment. That’s more commonly how things happen here. Sometimes we’ll try one thing, then try another, then compare the data on both to see what worked better. In this particular instance, I think we have decided that the last used reference is the preferred option, but if we’d found that it moved the needle noticeably on growth or referrals or generating interest then that might not have been the case - it would have been a balance between that and the feedback we received.

Community feedback is hugely important to us - it’s just worth remembering it’s one of many factors that we need to take into consideration. And something appearing, and then being removed later on, isn’t in-and-of-itself an indicator that it didn’t work or that we pulled it due to criticism. Depending on the circumstances and the idea being tested, that sits on a spectrum of truth that includes many variables :grinning:

14 Likes