"Sent From Monzo"

I’m not personally outraged by it and mine is a genuine question - is it linked to that setting? Some people are still saying they don’t get the default reference so either Monzo are A/B testing, it’s linked to the setting or there’s some other reason. I’d be interested to know the official answer.

1 Like

I know if there’s a blank box I tend to not notice it and forget to enter the reference. Having text there means I will read it and remember to put in the reference. No point having a default as on some I need to change it with each payment.
I don’t have it yet, A/B testing

3 Likes

I think it’s more likely to be A/B testing or a gradual roll-out based on the reports.

The only other thing I’ll add, is that I think there is a difference to going into the Monzo app and seeing someone who you don’t know that well listed; and getting a payment from someone that says they bank with Monzo. In the former case, it seems like personal information on someone who you don’t know very well, in the latter it’s part of a transaction with someone you know well enough to send or receive money from.

I’m certainly geekier than most, but whenever I have a sort code for a payment to a company or friend/acquaintance, I put it through the checker to see who they bank with just for my own interest. I don’t consider this private or sensitive information. [Actually I no longer have to do this, as the Monzo app now shows me anyway. :grin:]

I agree, there’s not much chance they can remove money from your account, if you noticed a direct debit set up youd cancel it. But some organisations use your bank details to prove your identity online, so you could be opening yourself up to identity theft. Also there is NO need to show this information so why show it?

I thought this topic was about the reference and whether it was defaulted?

Are we now onto whether a payment sends your sort code and account number? That horse has already been shot before Monzo was on the scene

1 Like

I just can’t fathom why monzo would choose to display it

Too radically transparent for some in this case I guess

Cannot say I am bothered by it personally

Think I might just go turn my internet off for a bit

10 Likes

Don’t they give that to students to pay fees and accommodation? The account details I mean

In student accom it’s usually pre-deducted. At least it is here.

Ah, I had to bank transfer mine

I wrote them cheques. Great for security that

Bank transfers would have been a bit magical for them then only 20 years ago

1 Like

I dont think you’re that mad about it. Quit the faux outrage, it looks bad.

13 Likes

Anyhow, this topic is wildly off-topic now

Can someone either rename it, or let’s get it back on track please

Went into branch and they did it. Was before smart phones and internet banking

1 Like

Yes i believe a toggle is a good solution to this:

• Allows those who dont care to remain not caring
  • Allows those who do care to go and turn it off

I’m horrified that it’s made easy for me to transfer money back to people without the need to ask for details and vice versa.

6 Likes

How will he know you’ve sent it? Better drop him a postcard too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think your missing the big picture. If I used a monzo business account, I’d now have 100’s of account numbers and sort codes and the responsibility to look after them. Ironically the very same customers that chose to pay with FPS rather than direct debit as they didn’t want to disclose their account details

At this stage I reckon universities have seen most things

3 Likes