Round up your Monzo purchases automatically!

That’s a bit of a leap. I think it’s more likely that the people who do not like the new solution are the ones voicing their opinions more readily than those who (like me) are fine with the new solution. I have no need to keep commenting “This is exactly what I wanted, thank you Monzo!”, after all.

6 Likes

We are talking about ± 99p so not a big deal. However that would be better, would be simply “the right way” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely. I’m not overly fussed either way tbh, but it certainly seemed that folk wanted this type of solution before it landed! As you say, there always tends to be more critique than praise (alas).

Anyway, thank you Monzo for fixing it for the folk that really (really) wanted it! :blush:

1 Like

Than an option would be preferable. A switch like “Show details of the round up in the feed”. We will be all happy!

2 Likes

Yep, they update the feed item with the correct settle value so don’t see why it can’t be updated with Round Up’s also.

1 Like

Good point and don’t disagree - hence why I did a poll! Can’t argue with % - although again likely only people who don’t like it will vote so take with a pinch of salt!

My problem with displaying it like the foreign transactions is what do you do when it’s a foreign transaction that’s been rounded up?

You have to use the space underneath to show the foreign value …

So as it is currently is the best option imo

The way I see it is, the main screen is to show what’s in your current card balance - ie, the top value doesn’t include pot amounts.

The total amount taken out of your card balance for that transaction includes the round up amount … So this makes sense as it is

3 Likes

I don’t really care if it’s the original or rounded figure that shows up in the feed, but it seems like a good idea to give people an option.

On a separate note, seems like roundups are performed on refunds too. This shows up in my feed as +1.98

3 Likes

I would really like to be able to set it so it only rounds up if the payment is over 50p. It’s frustrating to have 99p disappear for a £2.01 purchase in the supermarket. Or, even better, if you can set the minimum amount for a round up to be activated, ie to have it not kick in for purchases under 75p.

Has something changed today as my last 2 purchases have failed to roundup?

What was your balance and how much were the transactions?

Balance above £100 and transactions were all above £5 so well above the £1 min.

After looking at foreign transactions I think this could be the best way of doing it. I don’t think we can get everyone to agree on this though. Not too sure what the total daily spend should be like, should this include the amount added to pots? Since the idea is that you are saving money without knowing it

5 Likes

Love the way that this has helped tidy up my feed! Would love it if IFTTT transactions could also be grouped under the transaction that initiates the workflow.

1 Like

As some have mentioned, it would be difficult to get consensus on this but I just wanted to add my feedback. I personally don’t like the full rounded up transaction on my feed as I don’t have a sense of how much I’m paying for travel or food at places so easily now.

I’m the type of person though that has Chip notifications turned off so saving is invisible. Hence, I’d prefer just the icon.

1 Like

I’ve had to turn this off (again) in it’s current form, unfortunately — doesn’t work for me. Will be interesting to see the feedback from the poll as more people vote.

1 Like

I tried a couple of transactions today; one rounded instantly; the other didn’t show the rounded amount at first - but the Pot had an increased balanced (so the money had moved). a few minutes later the feed updated with the rounded amount + the button to show it had rounded.

1 Like

I really like the fact that it auto-roundups in the app. So If I buy something for £8.80, it shows £9 in the app. This is super useful to me as it makes it easier to budget and use coinjar at the same time! Previously I wasn’t rounding up my purchases, which caused all kinds of problems using it. But now that it’s automatically done, it’s perfect!!!

1 Like

As in, I LOVE the way it works at the moment.

1 Like

So to answer my own previous Q about the API and IFTTT integrations, in case anyone else was wondering…

IFTTT

So if you use IFTTT to log any transactions to a Google Doc / elsewhere, it seems any transfer to a pot is not recorded anywhere.

Transactions that are rounded in the app feed, show up as their actual amount when IFTTT’d, but there is no associated transaction

API / YNAB

Within the API (and my use to sync the data to YNAB), the transaction pre-rounded is recorded as is, and you get a second transaction for the transfer to the Pot.

That’s probably as you’d expect - but FYI if anyone uses any of these things.

2 Likes