Revolut Style Metal Cards

Metal cards have been around for years with Amex. They have many pitfalls and as above serve as nothing more than vanity.

Amex marketing is proof that they are for vanity with who it chooses to issue them to.

2 Likes

Comrades! Do not think of the vanity of a metal bank card. Sure, they look attractive as hell and sure, they can be a just reward for a lifetime of study, hard work, 9am starts, commutes and crawling your way up to the top of whatever ladder you have climbed, but some people are trying to mould Monzo into the ideal communist card they have always dreamed of and you are ruining it for them. Why should you be free to choose, guilt free, to have a nicer looking card simply because you want one, and even if you are willing to pay for it? Communism brothers; don’t lose sight of the dream…

2 Likes

Can’t remember Marx mentioning metal cards specifically

1 Like

I think he’d probably be against. No luxuries. Just ‘good enough’ standard stuff for everyone.

Personally I think there’s too much of an idea that Monzo is some kind of one size fits all product. Monzo say they want to make an amazing bank that is intuitively just so much better than high street banks and I think they’re doing that. I think for now Metal Cards aren’t a priority because they’re chasing bigger dreams that suit a larger percentage of the population - but it’s worth bearing in mind that the best banking you can get isn’t the same for everyone. Absolutely there will be people who think a £2.99 charge for a bank account is a rip off and people who are happy to pay for the Amex Platinum chargecard at £450 a year. It comes with a concierge and other nice things. One person’s banking isn’t another person’s banking and while I think it’s great some people on this thread think a metal card is rubbish or ‘vanity’, in the same way their views are valid, people who want a metal card are just as valid in their wish for one. And some of the people who want a metal card have great careers and work in top jobs and command a lot of money so it goes to show, you can’t really afford to discount the views of anyone.

3 Likes

I see a day when everyone has a metal card and plastic will be the must have novelty :grin:

I don’t get it. It’s a card. It’s in my purse, I take it out and tap it on a reader and it goes back in my purse. If people want to pay for luxury then great, charge them a large fee.

But I still don’t get it :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

I paid for the Curve metal card and I love it :slight_smile: They did charge me a fee, but I didn’t mind :slight_smile:

Just to mention, it’s a yearly/monthly subscription, rather than just fee.

That is correct.