Revolut chat

Yeah I know a minister of religion and it would be free but they would want attendance and looking to joining which is difficult. Everyone’s church is different. I know someone para legal who could do it but as you know they only check 1 in 10 but if they do you could waste your money and have to sign again. I’m not ruling out upgrading my account but it would be only if they introduced fees for top ups which is why I’m mitigating it by joining revolut

Just to make you aware - as soon as you start Revolut regularly, they may insist on doing ID checks, and may freeze your account until you comply. Otherwise, they can’t be certain of who you are, and that’s very risky for any regulated financial service provider - they could quite easily face huge fines or get their license revoked if their services are used for money laundering and the regulators get wind of it.

1 Like

Personally, I’m skeptical that any of the day to day accounts get used much for laundering money. I think it more about snooping.

Walter white had to buy a car wash!

3 Likes

Thanks for that revolut comment. I wasn’t aware of it but take it on board.

Oooh they are - just look at the
fine Deutsche Bank got from the US government some time ago for not doing enough to prevent money laundering via its accounts - $5 Billion, if I remember correctly. This is not a joke, it’s serious business.

2 Likes

Does any one use Revolut as a day to day bank rather than a travel companion ?

I have just experimented these last few days with using Revolut to pay for every day purchases here at home and I must say it was quite impressive

Anybody else with similar experience ?

1 Like

I’ve used it a few times but I got it mainly for Travel.

It’s my preferred every day card. Use it for everything except Google Pay (Monzo) and online (BarclayCard, for their fraud dept).

Revolut fits my circumstances as I have income from euroland. Can’t say I’d get one solely as a travel card unless I wanted to hedge against currency fluctuations.

With having exposure to another currency Revolut really is the best thing since sliced bread for me😀

Google pay :thinking: not sure what that means ?

I must admit that when I used the account for a while I was actualy suirprised how good it was with instant notifications and expenses breakdown :+1:

It’s like Apple Pay. It was renamed from Android Pay recently

Genuinely curious: Does it not bother you, that there is no FSCS (or equivalent) protection? I mean, for me it’d be fine for occasional use, or to route euro income to my main bank account, but for my main bank account that is an absolute must for me.

What does that mean though? That the card was accepted? Just curious what constituted an “impressive” experience when using a card.

6 Likes

At any one time I have max 1.5 months income on my Revolut card. In the worst case that would be an acceptable loss for me considering the seriously large savings on fx.

FSCS may in any case cease to be at some point if eu plans come to anything.

I am a big fan of Revolut but of course it doesn’t replace my legacy banks either in euroland or UK any more than Monzo would.

2 Likes

Wow, OK, I have fairly good reserves in my savings, but loosing 1.5 times my monthly income would seriously upset me. Good on you!

Can you elaborate? First time I’m hearing of plans to cease FSCS…

Ok let me ask you a question :thinking:

Why do you bank with Monzo and in your view what makes it stand out from a legacy bank current account

I don’t anymore.

• instant notifications (which I got fed up with after a short while seriously, I know that I just used my card, and how much I spent, my memory isn’t that bad :wink:)
  • a lack of loads of features that I need from my bank accounts.

(Obviously take all of those comments with a generous helping of :wink: and :stuck_out_tongue: )

Now that I answered your questions, mind answering mine?

I’ve been very interested in the Fintech scene regarding instant notifications and card freezing facilities etc

This I’ve tried with both Starling and Monzo and to be honest found Starling slightly more mature

But now have realised that I can actually have instant notifications and spending analysis by Revolut, with the exception of spending pots, it offers the same facility to me as does Monzo ( a spending card)

What I do like is the multiple cross border accounts which I have used on travels and further more the simplicity of sending money to family overseas

Eu want an eu wide deposit protection scheme, EDIS I think it’s named. If it replaces national schemes it is projected to max out at 30% of holdings. Just something I read and maybe misunderstood.

1 Like

Absolutely get that. It’s the reason why I signed up for Revolut. Sadly, they messed up a bit too frequently with me, so I’m moving over to transferwise borderless instead.

Have you tried Curve? with them you get spending analysis and instant notifications for ALL your master or visa cards, and it means that when/if you get fed up with [Company A] or just want to try another provider, you still get those in the same app.

1 Like

That’s a very good idea and will keep looking
I have a selection of cards and accounts right now to choose from, but still haven’t found that idyllic setup that suits me and my family

If curve would get amex back and add applepay, all of my spend would go through it.

3 Likes