Revolut chat

Oh I like that. Opt in for credit reporting sounds good to me.

Revolut can only do that because it’s not a bank. It doesn’t have to report to the credit reference agencies, but it can make more money from you if it knows the data that they hold on you.

1 Like

ÂŁ4.99 delivery fee applies :joy:

Sources suggested that Revolut’s ability to raise new funding at the same valuation underlined its resilience

This is a big blow to my confidence in Monzo. If Revolut is able to go out and raise more money than Monzo during Covid-19 at the same valuation it raised its last round, why couldn’t Monzo. This raises big question marks over why Monzo couldn’t do the same when they raised their last round.

Investor confidence in Revolut seems to be a lot higher than Monzo.

4 Likes

Interesting that you only joined the forum last week given your previous much larger amount of confidence in Monzo

2 Likes

Interesting that this is how you react to the news about a new raise by Revolut. You seem a little sensitive to anything remotely negative towards monzo and go after the person posting things, not the facts. It’s rather childish of you.

Hopefully monzo respond with something big soon as dark mode is coming to Revolut soon!

Source: https://twitter.com/RevolutApp?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

You mean big like Plus that was launched a week ago?

5 Likes

Yep, hopefully we see some big uptake in Monzo Plues! Heard mixed reviews, but could be a few million in runway for monzo if even a small percentage sign up!! Exciting times for fintech customers!

I think you are comparing apples and oranges in terms of funding, Revolut were lucky enough …or astute enough …nope, Im going for lucky enough to close their 500m (?) funding round pre covid 19 so had, and have those funds in place so are in a far better financial situation than Monzo was pre covid, then when another investor for Revolut comes along and wants to “invest” and revolut dont necessarily need the money why should they give it away . Normal investment really

3 Likes

Yeah, that could be the case. Timing was very solid for that big round.

From an outsiders perspective, seeing Revoluts war chest get bigger and bigger is a big blow for any competitor! It’s similar with Robinhood in the states. They have such a massive war chest that when you look at their competitors in the US, it’s hard to see them being able to compete for long

It was only solid if they could have foreseen the consequences of covid , they weren’t smart , just lucky in their timing, you dont agree a new funding round in a week or a month :man_shrugging:

Monzo I think try to get best bang for their buck , in terms of funding, they leave it until the last minute to get most value for Monzo when funding , stuffed by circumstance this time unfortunately . Investors pulled out of the 100m funding , at who knows what heads of terms , just as Monzo were about to launch their plus and premium accounts just as the covid hit travel and spending.

The confidence that existing investors showed in the ongoing business was quite gratifying although quite painful for Monzo

1 Like

You’d like to think Dark Mode is a relatively easy thing to implement for Revolut given that they have literally just completely rebuilt the frontend of their apps and would have done so with Dark Mode in mind.

But props to them, still waiting for it here from :monzo: and will continue to wait

I must have missed this being the Revolut forum, where I might have been if more fussed either way

I mean well done to Revolut, but trying to gain any insight into Monzo’s finances by looking at a raise Revolut managed is like judging the success of your football team by who other teams signed

One of Revolut’s major investors in the past are going to get hosed on their WeWork investment, so pouring money in is no guarantee of anything

1 Like

My bolding - but I think that is actually poor management on Monzo’s part as their negotiating position is weaker at that point - even without Covid this time round.

1 Like

well, this is just my interpretation , not a Monzo board post , I haven’t negotiated multi million pound deals so wouldn’t know, but has seemed to work OK in the past with doubling valuations very quickly , and I suppose it would hinge on how you interpret " the last minute " in the scheme of things

Without knowing the proportion of active Revolut vs active Monzo customers this is kinda meaningless. Personally I think 4 million+ people with a proper bank account is worth more than 12 million or whatever it is with a basic prepaid card from Revolut, but who knows.

2 Likes

I would say Monzo would have no trouble attracting more customers and funding than Revolut if they added a few of the features you can get from Revolut and Starling and Transferwise
ie. local bank accounts for EU, USA, CAD and other countries (like Transferwise and Revolut)
international bank transfers using Currency Cloud, no relying on Transferwise (like Starling)
reasonable FX exchange rates (like Revolut)/

Monzo is falling behind in functionality compared to Revolut,Starling and Transferwise. They will become the leading bank in my opinion if they can offer these feature since their customer service is way ahead of the others.

Comparing Monzo and Revolut is like comparing apples with oranges.

Remember Revolut is NOT a bank, it can’t directly offer interest, overdrafts, cheques in or an FCA protected account.

While Monzo is a bank, its license “MAY” also restrict it from offering services that Revolut offers such as shares, cryptocurrency, 100% reserve banking or linking money to Gold/Silver.

I think Revolut is great as a secondary account but not as someone’s main bank account at the current time.

Personal view only.

2 Likes

Isn’t it a bit more like comparing a chicken with an egg? Revolut are actively pursuing a full banking license - taking exactly the same path Monzo did (e-money institution to bank, calling at no branches, prepaid debit cards, and value-added services).

In terms of customer numbers, Revolut have a big advantage of Monzo - anyone in the EU can get a Revolut card, Monzo remain UK only (with US still coming?). This of course makes them different propositions for investors.

I wonder how much difficulty crypto trading adds to a banking licence, most UK regulated banks dont deal with crypto currencies, I would imagine they are pretty specific licence applications for particular risks and for specific offerings. Do Revolut do this in house or farm out to a.n. other with the specific licence ?

Monzo I think took from Dec 15 to June 17 for a standard Banking Licence without many bells and whistles to it, or will Revolut have a different offering once they have got their UK licence because of the UKs banking reluctance about crypto offerings - down to the regulator, or risks involved ?? ie …no crypto ???