Revolut chat

Yikes. Don’t like that !

Got my final response from them today. Complaint not upheld!

I also had to pay £10 to cancel Premium within the cooling off period.

Ew.

2 Likes

That’s terrible!

1 Like

Why is it ew? The Revolut card costs £5 plus £5 delivery outside premium. You are charged the cost of the ‘free’ better looking card if you get one within premium then cancel premium. It’s to stop people abusing the free better designed card offer with premium.

Revolut are not hiding any of this. It is in their terms and conditions.

2 Likes

I think @Chalky cancelled premium as a result of the rude response he got on Twitter (earlier in this thread) as well as the failure for CS to get back to him about failed top ups in app. Not because he just wanted the better looking card.

Not true - card is free with 4.99 delivery unless you already have a card, then you pay for an additional one.

Also Revolut have more customers than Starling and Monzo combined and the vast majority of those are on the GPS processor which seems to be handling itself well these past few months.

The premium does say it’s a 12 month contract - you wouldn’t expect other companies to let you out without any charges. They do let you out but charge you a relatively small charge compared to what it would cost to stay on it. I personally haven’t used it though - doesn’t really have value for me.

I never questioned @chalky’s experiences of Revolut. It isn’t the behaviour I would expect from a company and @chalky has every right to complain and stop using their services. However I read Revoluts Terms and Conditions only this morning to confirm my statement above. Yes it doesn’t explicitly state its to cover the card costs, but it does state it is incurred when you order a premium card.

Not exactly true either. Your first card is free, virtual or physical (with a delivery charge) and all subsequent cards cost a fee (unless that has changed recently). However if you sign up to Revolut and go instantly to Premium, I can see how being charged for a card exclusive to the premium tier might seem harsh…

In the end the terms and conditions are clear. I have even paid the £10 fee to cancel my Revolut Premium.

Oh I was responding to this part of your response, I thought you might not have read the earlier part and assumed he got premium and cancelled it just to get the better looking card.

I was admittedly tempted to get premium just for the prettier card, but you can’t continue using the card after the first year you’ve paid for premium unless you continue paying for it. This to me seems a little petty, if the card is visibly marked as being a “premium” card that would give you special privileges at certain locations (eg airport lounge access) I would understand the need for the distinction. But the premium cards don’t have any text that marks them to be “premium” cards so would these places know what to look out for though :thinking:

There were even fewer features then when I first got Revolut (2 years ago) compared to now so I didn’t think it was worth it to pay £7.99 (or £7?) a month for it. Perhaps when they add more features like insurance/ airport lounges etc. it will be actually worth the amount of money you pay for premium. I don’t get paid in €, dabble in crypto, or particularly need to hold lots of foreign currencies so ease of use and good CS is my main priority at the moment.

2 Likes

Correct except that if you’ve got a virtual card they don’t charge you for a physical one, only the delivery charge as I mentioned before.

Also the terms make it explicitly clear that if you cancel premium you’ll be charged £14 if within the first 10 months…

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, I was just wanting to clarify the ew comment on the exit charge to state that there is a reason why there is an exit fee. I’m a little bit of a devil’s advocate sometimes :sweat_smile:

I went for Revolut Premium just for the card admittedly. I fully understood that when I cancelled 7 days later I would incur the fee. I would be honest, the quality of the premium card is so bad that it was scuffed on day 1. The other features of Revolut Premium I don’t think are worth that much either. I was tempted for the gadget insurance, but it doesn’t include theft and I already have AppleCare+ for damage. Plus, while I havn’t had bad customer service, would I want to trust Revolut to sort out a replacement phone with peoples troubles with them? Probably not.

If I was @chalky, I would run Revolut’s complaints policy through the ground, pushing it to the end and then getting a letter of deadlock and pursuing it further where possible - especially if he has now paid the £10 fee. Going to the Financial Ombudsman for the £10 fee could cost Revolut £500-odd pounds just for the referral to them. Even if they win it.

3 Likes

Their final response saying that they were not upholding my complaint was effectively the deadlock letter so the Financial Ombudsman was contracted last night. I had to repeat myself when I described the Tweet to the (very lovely) Investigator that I spoke to as she could barely believe what she was hearing!

I’d totally understand the fee under different circumstances but given what’s happened it’s clear why I was cancelling the Premium service. I was fully intending on using it and it’s features (like the insurance) as I’m going away later this year but now I don’t see why they deserve a penny of my money especially given their frankly rubbish final response that didn’t address any of the issues I raised.

It’s definitely things like this that make you realise how lucky we are to have the level of CS that we get from Monzo, at least from my experience! I’ll definitely just be sticking to using my Monzo card when I go away! Please forgive me Monzo for trying the dark side!

12 Likes

:apple: , will make some people happy if they’ve been waiting.

2 Likes

Looks like Monzo’s NDA thing wasn’t strictly true then if it is Apple Pay

Did they actually mention Apple Pay? They seem to be quite vague just like Monzo was, where the only mention was “mobile payments” on the roadmap.

3 Likes

It does seem to be fairly obvious and it’s not ‘mobile payments are a feature we’d love to bring to you’.

I don’t really use Revolut tho tbf I’ve had it years now but find Monzo and Starling serve much better. Revolut don’t have things like DD’s and it’s not a ‘bank’ so not great for me.

Monzo did start giving more clues a few days before announcement so maybe something similar

1 Like

Monzo did mention Apple Pay in passing at Open Offices. They stated it was on the way in the future. They just didn’t say when - just like Revolut havnt said when.

1 Like

Monzo did say “coming soon” a few days before Apple Pay was released, so I’d reckon it’s quite soon.