Revolut chat

That sounds… suboptimal.

1 Like
1 Like

Ok so I just signed up to Revolut and I have a 1 month free offer (then £2.99 a month) for Plus, can I use this to get the chromatic card then cancel before I get charged? Does the card still work or is it like Monzo Plus?

Cheers.

Any cards continue to work, at least for me. You might get charged cost of delivery if you cancel*

*always read the terms

2 Likes

At the bottom it says “this is a 12 month plan” so guess there will be costs involved if I cancelled it within the free month.

Ah, that’s how they catch you out. If you sign up for the 12 month plan, you’re liable for the full 12 month cost regardless of when you cancel. Unless you’re actually going to use the features and pay for it, I would not accept.

I suppose the free trial can’t be used towards a monthly recurring plan?

1 Like

Honestly not sure, it’s a bit confusing, this is the page I see in app:

Tap ‘Promotion Terms’.

1 Like

You pay monthly but it has a 12 month minimum term, like how Monzo has a 6 month minimum term on Premium

You can order it and the card will still work when you downgrade.

The way to play it is after 14 days, choose to downgrade to free, if it says there’s a fee, wait until your monthly renewal charge date, and then downgrade then and you shouldn’t incur any charges at all, and be refunded that £2.99 fee.

I’ve done this twice for metal cards and never been an issue.

3 Likes

So if I sign up today I get 1 month free, then after 14 days try to downgrade and it should be free? If not wait until the monthly renewal date and try to downgrade then instead, which will refund the £2.99 it would have charged me on that renewal date?

2 Likes

From their Terms:

If you downgrade within 14 days

If you pay your subscription in monthly instalments, we’ll give you a full refund of your subscription. […]

If you pay the full subscription once a year, we’ll give you a full refund of your subscription. If we sent a Plus Card or Premium Card to you, we’ll charge you the delivery fee, and may deactivate the card. If you ordered a Metal Card, we’ll charge you £40 for the card (or the equivalent in the currency of your Revolut account), plus any delivery fee.

If you downgrade after 14 days but within 10 months

If you pay your subscription in monthly instalments, we won’t make any refund and you’ll have to pay the subscription for the month in which you tell us you’d like to end or downgrade your subscription. We’ll also charge a break fee equal to two months’ subscription.

If you pay the full subscription once a year, we won’t refund any of the full year’s subscription you paid, but we won’t charge a break fee.

1 Like

I’ve never been charged this.

That’s how it’s always been for me. I basically paid £12.99 for a metal card on two occasions, instead of £40+two monthly fee as the terms allude to above.

2 Likes

But when entering contracts, expecting the terms to be applied to the letter is prudent, regardless of what people on the internet say (not that I doubt your experience)

2 Likes

I’ve always expected the worst IE for them to abide by the terms but they hadn’t at my time of purchases.

1 Like

I have, I cancelled after the 14 day period and was charged the early termination fee.

1 Like

After 14 days it may show, but once a full month lapses it should refund on the renewal date.

My example:

24/10 upgraded to Metal £12.99 and ordered metal card.

25/11 £12.99 taken from account, downgraded to standard, £12.99 refunded.

No card fee or 2 months break fee charged.

2 Likes

I had the plan for 3/4 months before cancelling, it didn’t refund anything. That fee is the most recent transaction on my account, I haven’t used it since. They me charged what the contract says they’ll charge :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Downgrading from metal to plus after 14 days, then cancelling on or day after renewal date:

No fee.

Maybe it’s a glitch on some accounts. I also ordered a metal card in this instance too.

2 Likes

ooo interesting, if only other banks had bugs that worked in the customer’s favour :joy: