Restaurant scenario

Lets say, your sitting in a restaurant, the bill comes, you pull out your card only to learn, your account is temporary locked.

Who would be the winner then, Cash or Card?

1 Like

Iā€™d cross my fingers they take Amex :grimacing:
Most places do theses days.

Itā€™s can be benifical to have more than one bank account in case they are experiencing issues.

If you didnā€™t have another card or cash Iā€™d be interested to know what theyā€™d do?

1 Like

I had a situation when I had a meal with my mum once and my pin number completely slipped my mind and I entered it wrong too many times, so the card got locked.

They let me go to an ATM to take out cashā€¦ while my mum waited in the restaurant. My mum was also texting some friends to be on standby to run down and pay for us if I was unable to take out cash. It was embarrassing, but I was able to get some cash out and pay for the meal :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to find out now :smile: ā€¦ Not first hand :joy: but in general

My guess would be some sort of informal agreement of ā€˜come back tomorrow and payā€™ with the punishment being you getting barred from further use of the restaurant :stuck_out_tongue:

Itā€™s a really good hypothetical but the server would be mightily disappointed with the amount of cash I carry, as itā€™s Ā£0 :yum:

Iā€™d give my legacy back a try in that scenario. Though, thankfully, in the 3 years Iā€™ve had Monzo (prepaid & CA) Iā€™ve never intentionally used my other bank :stuck_out_tongue:
I had a couple of slipups, i.e. Google Pay using the other card after I messed with the freezing of monzo & then I had my other card linked to Dominoā€™s (ages ago) and by the time it had asked me for a CVC I just rolled with it :joy:

Did you get the cash from a different account? Presumably using one of those ā€˜one time emergency codesā€™ given your card got locked?? Or do they still let you lift cash even if itā€™s locked?

This was using my HSBC card before I had Monzo. When the card was locked due to too many incorrect pin attempts at the POS terminal, I was still able to use the ATM with that card as normal to take out money.

In fact, the way to unlock the card was to go to a HSBC ATM and press the ā€œUnlock cardā€ button :smiley:

1 Like

A resturaunt meal is a service contract. I would give them my name, address and a hastily written note to state I am willing to pay them at a later date (which could be just minutes or hours). Address proven with my driving licence. It isnā€™t theft if you intend to pay. Most establishments will have a procedure for people unable to pay. More than likely, I would just use my credit card or RBSā€™s emergency cash feature.

5 Likes

:point_up: This. Same with petrol stations. I donā€™t think they actually have the right to keep your ID, phone, wallet etc as seems to happen a lot.

Wash the dishes used to be the answer: ::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yeah I suggested that once.

The guy behind the till at the garage just looked confusedā€¦

3 Likes

So far, cash seems to be taking the lead. This question was asked, in light of a recent gathering to discuss a cashless future.

How would you use either cash or card if your account was frozen?

Obviously if you have cash on youā€¦ Youā€™d use it.

If you didnā€™t have cash and you only had 1 card (which was frozen), youā€™d have to come back and pay a different way.

Itā€™s always good practice to carry multiple payment methods for situations like this.

1 Like

I think this is where Apple/Google Pay can come in really useful. You could add another payment method to your digital wallet to use for emergencies like this without having to carry around another card.

1 Like

Not in my neck of the woods - Weā€™ve just discovered contactless (helped by Halifaxā€™s advertsā€¦).

Although itā€™s definitely a good thing to do as a back up - Iā€™d still carry an extra physical card as well.

1 Like