Upcoming / repeated / subscription payments (as it is named variously throughout the app) cannot be classified retrospectively without generating duplicate entries. This may be related to this issue, but as that one has no steps to reproduce it is hard to discern whether they have the same root cause.
Details to reproduce:
- Set up a payment with a provider via card (not Direct Debit), which will be repeated on a schedule; for instance, set up an Amazon Prime subscription, which will be debited monthly.
- Wait until you have two or three historical debits.
- Now go to the transaction details screen for the first one. Move the “Repeating payment” slider to on. Repeat this process for subsequent payments.
- Visit Summary > Committed Spending and observe that for previous months the payments are correctly categorised under, say, bills.
- Visit Summary > Committed Spending for the current month and observe the repeated greyed out entries as shown in the screenshot before.
Note: the ideal desired behaviour is for all transactions to automatically be grouped in the same chain. It shouldn’t be possible to, as we have done here, create duplicate subscriptions because Monzo should be able to detect that they are linked by default.
This may also affect the spending summary - wrongly counting each repeated one and totalling them, rather than just counting once (have not verified).
Google Pixel 1 XL