Rename budgets as spending plans

I have found that the word budget can make people feel like they are on a money diet. If you restrict spending too much there can be a tendency to rebel and have a blow out!

Spending plan is friendlier and seems less restrictive :smiley:

Canā€™t say that I agree with this and personally I donā€™t think it works either.

EG:

Your grocery spending plan is Ā£10 over this month
Your grocery budget is Ā£10 over this month

Not saying itā€™s a bad idea, but letā€™s see what others think :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think rather than change the word budget - more needs to be done in explaining what a budget can be. Yes a budget can be used to ā€œtrim the fatā€ so to speak to you can reduce the amount of money you spend.

At the same time a budget can also be used to simply record all your income and outgoings so you have a record of it without ā€˜limitingā€™ your usage.

Weā€™ve seen in this forum the very many different ways budgets are used to their preferences, whether that be envelope, dump and forget, or meticulous category specific (to the penny) spreadsheets - so showing how a budget can be used is IMO better than changing the word.

2 Likes

I see what you are saying and obviously we all see things slightly differently.

I donā€™t agree with the two statements you made though as a budget canā€™t be over itā€™s a budget so the statements would be

Your spending on groceries is Ā£10 over budget; or
Your spending on groceries is Ā£10 over your spending plan

Of course you can go over budget, I donā€™t understand?

Now the double ā€˜spendingā€™ in that sentence irks me :laughing:

I donā€™t think I can be convinced but appreciate you trying :slight_smile:

No worries we wonā€™t all agree on everything. Just with the work I do some people find the word budget a bit like a money diet :joy:

1 Like

If this is just about changing the name of something then its really just down to personal opinion. Some people might prefer to call it a budget because they use it as a budget and its going to get confusing to have different names for the same thing, that is unless the behavior between a budget and a spending plan is different

1 Like

It used to be called Targets but was charged as it seemed the goal is to aim to spend all of it. I think the same would apply for spending plan, whereas budget implies more the maximum Iā€™m allowed to spend

1 Like

Butā€¦ It IS a budget.

2 Likes

And yet itā€™s also a spending plan :woman_shrugging:

Not really, spending plan suggests thatā€™s how much youā€™re going to spend, which it isnā€™t, otherwise target would have been a suitable name. A budget is an amount of money allowed for that purpose

4 Likes

I think works better for some people to have a plan but agree not everyone will be the same. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions too :smiley:

:thinking: Spending Plan does sound how much youā€™re planning to spend a bit like how it was previously Target like you were failing if it wasnā€™t all gone.

Spending plan shows I plan to spend Ā£1000, spent Ā£900 so I have Ā£100 left to spend.

Rather than Iā€™ve budgeted Ā£1000 and spent Ā£900, and have Ā£100 left in the budget that could be spent or saved.

3 Likes

I have a ā€˜spending planā€™ in a year long spreadsheet, but this includes my average income, committed spending and then highlights a monthly budget I can afford as well as how much I will move to each pot. For me personally, it works really well and Iā€™ve saved more than I ever have done before. Iā€™ve tweaked the one pictured below to give a very rough guide to what itā€™s like. My main one is on my laptop which isnā€™t near me at the moment. My main one also shows me all of my loans and the percentage of them I have paid off. This is my view on a ā€˜spending planā€™ as apposed to a budget.
I put in the below image ā€˜remaining monthly allowanceā€™ as apposed to ā€˜budgetā€™ as the budget is the last thing I arrange. Paying my bills, loans and paying into my pots is my main priority.

I donā€™t know about avoiding the word budget from an emotional point of view. But I agree with something along the lines of what the OP suggested in that I would expect a budget to include fixed costs and variable costs. Budget from a finance point of view should encompass more than the colloquial ā€œthings we need to budget forā€, which seems to be too close to the way the functionality seems to work in Monzo. At least thatā€™s IMO!