Reducing the cost of debit card top-ups

I would just prefer to be charged a monthly or yearly fee to have a Monzo bank account instead of having various trade offs between appealing to customers not to take the piss, or limitations in order to be sustainable that ultimately over time will only get more and more limited. Over time as the focus of the business may evolve to run the same very thin line as other banks between reducing costs, offering a free product, maximising incoming through various financial products that do generate revenue, meanwhile maintaining a basic level of customer satisfaction.

Charging a re-occurring fee means that the efforts of the business can be less focused on revenue & loss through customerā€™s financial products and instead on justifying the value proposition to customers of their fee by providing useful services and functions, amazing customer service, and delivering better uptime and system performance.

6 Likes

Iā€™m just waiting for CASS then Iā€™m moving.

Maybe combine 2 and 3? Reward people for tipping by increasing the fee-free limit, In a way theyā€™re still paying the fee (as tips) but feel more rewarded for it

Well I didnā€™t know that!

As @anon40728597 says, making me think twice about using them now!

2 Likes

This.

Monzo is going to be a really interesting proposition to watch grow and develop.

How to maintain its character, introduce fun features all the while needing to generate revenue and ā€œdo the boring business stuff.ā€

1 Like

Whereas Deliveroo and UberEats charge around 33% of the total cost of the order, I believe!

1 Like

I think Iā€™ll just go back to beans on toast! :cry:

I agree that Monzo should be transparent about how much a Top Up costs, and I can choose to not Top Up if I do not like the fee amount. I also agree that there are insufficient positives to encourage me to switch my main current account.

Given your concern about the cost to Monzo for Top Ups, could you please disclose how much a debit card transaction costs you and or whether you actually earn money on a debit card transaction?

I may be old-school, however, other than the detailed spending analysis and the speed of light Top Up transfers I cannot see a major advantage over the traditional banks. Please remember that the money belongs to us, but as far as I can see the ā€œPotsā€ do not earn any interest, and the Faster Payments system works very well, and I do not have a problem with ā€œUp to 2 hoursā€, but it is rarely that slow on Faster Payments. Is this where you then tell us that Faster Payments cost you too?

I currently pay my salary into an interest bearing current account, pay my bills where I get cashback rewards on the direct debits and then put the rest of my income into interest bearing savings accounts. I then use a credit card instead of a debit card for ALL my non-cash transactions and then have the credit card paid off in full each month (I transfer monies from the savings accounts the day before). I can do all this with the existing banks and their apps.

If I am missing other advantages of Monzo, I would be pleased to learn these.

May I suggest GoCardless. :wink:

It feels to me like we are at the top of a slippery slope with customers paying multiple fees to cover Monzo operating costs and having more and more of Ts & Cs to contend with. Personally I think Monzo should keep it simple and focus on building a business model that covers the cost of doing business. Donā€™t bring features to market that require new fees and ā€œrulesā€ to govern how much or how often you can use itā€¦

Thisā€¦ I am a real Monzo fan and will keep using them even with fees. However the introduction of these fees (to cover costs) seriously works against one of the major selling points of the card.

The fact is all businesses have costs, while I fully understand how fees can be used to entice / reduce user behavior in ways that help reduce the actions that do have costs, I also feel its better for Monzo to introduce a business model that covers its fees while retaining its simplicity and selling points. Just looking to pass on costs and reduce the burn rate doesnt make a business model.

In fact while I have not found any other service which I like as much as monzo, the introduction of fees is what pushed me to open an N26 and now a Starling Bank. Partly this is just to test the services but pushing happy customers to competition over small issues is not what any service wants to be doing.

2 Likes

I use the debit top up as its super quick and means I dont have a huge amount of cash on my card should I lose it. Iā€™d use bank transfer but Barclays and their app is utterly terrible so most of the time it doesnā€™t work. A monthly allowance is fine though and would mean times when I run out of cash on the card I can quickly top up, but other times I can use my computer to load a lump sum.

1 Like

Monzo is a bank. If you donā€™t want a bank account, you will be continually disappointed, and would be better off finding a prepay card as the product will continue to evolve in directions you donā€™t like.

2 Likes

I still canā€™t understand the appeal/use-case of a prepaid card; why would you need a second card in addition to a current account? And if your bank sucks and you want a prepaid card that has a better experience why not completely switch to the Monzo CA?

1 Like

I suspect youā€™re in the minority there. Most people wouldnā€™t be keen to pay a fee for something in order to subsidise others getting benefits that they donā€™t use (or donā€™t need to use).

5 Likes

Why wouldnā€™t you just do a bank transfer (faster payment) into Monzo or if you are short use the other card?

This is unlikely to affect me because I would transfer from my bank account on a faster payment of which there is no cost-fee to anyone (my Mrs did the original system and process testing for faster payment while at The One Account prior to its introduction). Therefore if there is a fee introduced for doing it I simply wouldnā€™t use that facility.

However, things seem to be changing, what drew me to Monzo in the first place was a basic bank account with a card no bells, no whistles, no fees or costs. My idea was to take my monthly disposable budget and put it into Monzo and do all my spending out of Monzo like food shopping etc. This ensures I donā€™t overspend. The simplicity, basicness of Monzo plus some nice modern features like tracking spend via mobile seemed to fit this idea perfectly.

However, now we are looking at fees for one facility/service, fees for something else, it almost feels as though the hook has been used to attract people and now as they build momentum the company begins to change the pleasent basic simplicity and direction to a more traditional banking method of making money through charges to their user base.

Monzo would have known where there are fees and costs in the banking process and so why introduce it as free in the first place knowing full well that as the customer base grew, the number of people doing things that cost money would also increase and therefore increase a cost to business. You would know that any cost to business would impact margins and profit lines and therefore be unsustainable so again this raises the question if you know this why introduce it as free in the first place? And if you donā€™t know this then I am worried!

It seems Monzo has had great success off the back of the basic account and have now moved/changed the account into a current account (Iā€™d like the basic one but it appears I canā€™t have that, I have to have the current account!) which takes them steps closer to offering more facilities and services at a fee and therefore opportunity to increase revenue, turnover and potential profit.

Interest is not paid on this account but all money in the bank is earning interest, we are at low interest rates at the moment although the recent slight increase would have helped a slither but going forward as rates increase the more money in Monzo = more money Monzo will be making.

Ultimately I have to say I am unsure now because it seems that these things are known but disregarded for a temporary time to get people hooked and then once done policy is changed and although they know thereā€™s a few they offer it for free and then, oh look itā€™s unsustainable, what a surprise, oh well looks like we are going to have to start charging, we are really sorry about that but Iā€™m sure you understand! To me that was planned in all the time, it doesnā€™t matter how you spin it, nicely you put it, how friendly you come across or cleverly that you frame it, it is a fee that you planned to charge all along knowing full well the costs involved to you by trying to hide it or dress it up as anything other than that makes me feel uncomfortable.

3 Likes

This seems like a great way to use the Monzo account, and as far as I can tell, nothing has changed (or been threatened to change) to prevent this type of use. In fact, it seems to me that the account is designed around enabling this sort of thing.

Iā€™m not sure this is entirely fair. Monzo is a very new company and they introduced a basic product to test features and get feedback - it was always a beta programme.
Ultimately, people used the card in different ways than they had imagined - which is fine - but that ended up costing them more than they had originally planned for so some things have to be tweaked. It is part of iterating and improving the product, there are no free lunches and whilst charging fees that are excessive or penalise the customer isnā€™t fair at all, I see no evidence of Monzo doing this by charging cost price. In some ways Iā€™m pleased Iā€™m able to help support them :slight_smile:

(my humble opinion)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s fine but based on that view there are 2 sides of the coin either competent or incompetent. As a startup company or rather a startup bank you would hope that they would have a very strong and sound business plan, especially considering if they go under they take everyoneā€™s money with them. Part of that plan would involve what services they are going to introduce and the costs involved and associated with that.

Therefore if they are competent they know the costs involved and how these services and costs would/could impact profit, revenue, turnover etc and therefore would know itā€™s not sustainable without passing this cost on to the customer er go, see my initial point.

Or, if they are incompetent they donā€™t know all the costs and fees charged in the banking sector for all of the different transactions etc and therefore havenā€™t taken any of it into account in their business plan and this would make them appear as though they are a fly-by-night company that donā€™t know what they are doing, what they need to consider and what they need to take into account on a business plan as a bank, the idea that a startup bank doesnā€™t know this would make me strongly question their business acumen.

To get this far and to even be allowed to operate I donā€™t believe the incompetent model could happen and therefore the competent model stands.
Logic deducts they know fees/costs involved, they allow people to perform certain kinds of transactions and therefore understand the costs and potential impact to business these involve and that they must be passed to the customer which is fine it is what it is my problem is the fact they like to pretend it was going to be free knowing full well it never could be, when they look at costs/fees a worse case scenario should always be worked to when making these considerations and therefore logic deduces to my original point. Any other idea would mean you must believe in the incompetent model, which could be the case but for everyoneā€™s sake including the PRA, FCA, BoE and Government I would really hope not!

1 Like

Nope - our money is protected by FSCS up to Ā£85,000

5 Likes

I was advertising Monzo to people and the most liked advantages (accept instant notification) are gone. :frowning: