Receiving international payments with Monzo

I cannot give you either but it is a problem for me also, the lack of IBAN and the inability to specify the exact amount to be sent in the foreign currency are two of the main reasons I have now moved to Starling which offers both of these facilities

4 Likes

Latest status is:

Yes

Tweeted this at the Monzo account yesterday… thought I’d just add a bit of noise here as well.

I’m really keen to make the full switch to Monzo, but I’m currently unable to because my employer – like other large corporates – requires an IBAN for their payroll system.

I’d love to start using Monzo as my central banking hub, but this limitation means I can’t start the switching processing. As a result I’ve just downloaded and started exploring what Starling offer as their accounts have IBANs.

Transferwise isn’t an option because on principle I don’t like the idea of having to pay an additional 65p each month just to receive my salary (the Transferwise fee for sending GBP to Monzo).

Appreciate there’s lots of complexity behind this, but would love to see this feature get some traction.

5 Likes

I’d look at opening a Revolut account (which is free), at least until Monzo’s international payment routing mechanism is fully in place.

1 Like

Hi, I wanted to ask cause I’m not sure and I’m quite new to Monzo - I work in UK and my salary goes on my Monzo account (in £ ofc), the transfer is automatic. In couple of weeks I’m going abroad for holiday and my next payment day is gonna be when I’m already abroad (in Poland to be specific). Is it gonna be any problem to get my salary because I’m gonna be abroad in that moment? Cheers!

1 Like

That won’t be a problem at all. Your salary will still be paid into your UK Monzo account, you could be anywhere in the world :grin:

1 Like

Thank you :):blush:

1 Like

For what it’s worth: I opened a Starling account in the end for receiving my salary. (There’s a few reasons I wouldn’t go with Revolut but the main one is lack of FSCS protection).

Hopefully Monzo will get up to parity with Starling et al on international payments via SWIFT/SEPA soon.

1 Like

Seems to have gone very quiet on the receiving international payment front…

Is anyone still working on this?

Is there an update that can be shared (assuming I haven’t missed one)? Even if there isn’t any progress would be good to know if this is still on the radar or not?

3 Likes

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Any update on this? Been waiting more than one year. Perhaps, time to start moving to Revolut.

3 Likes

My employer also asks for IBAN for both expenses and salary payments.

I’m not entirely sure why they do though, as my salary still comes in as normal BACS direct credit from a UK bank account of theirs.They say they send expenses via ACH transfer (which I think is an American scheme?), but those still come through okay as well.

So it may be worth speaking with your employer or colleagues to see how they’re actually paid, as you may be like me where it looks like it requires an IBAN but in reality they just use that data to come up with the sort code/acc number and send it via direct credit anyway.

Im surprised nobody from Monzo cant even be bothered to reply regarding any plans on implementing iban but found this one:

Does it even work ?
Heard some people say they tried everything and not working and iban is still not available.

3 Likes

I know right… Some official word would be greatly appreciated here.

I tried that IBAN in my foreign account and it isn’t recognised.

1 Like

It’s not guaranteed to work, but yes you can generate your own IBAN using any online IBAN generator.

I receive regular international payments into my Monzo account and it has worked every time (in some cases, the sending bank is even able to verify that it is a Monzo account before sending).

In one case, I’m even able to receive inbound international payments as Faster Payments (I have no idea how) which means they have arrived between 6 minutes and 4 hours after hitting send on the other side.

The only thing to note is that not all transactions will work, some may be returned to the sender. And Monzo can’t give any guarantees at this stage.

But the way I’ve done it is to send a small test payment first.

5 Likes

Yeah this is a totally fair point. Technically I could receive my salary this way - as my employer uses BACS for this which would be fine. However the complication comes with expenses. Expense payments are wired by my employer and would require the IBAN, unlike salary payments, so until Monzo has full SWIFT/SEPA support I can’t make the full switch. Starling already has the routing setup and it’s worked perfectly last few months.

Thanks but it doesn’t work for me…

The sending bank does some form of check and doesn’t recognise it so won’t let you make the transfer.

Not Monzo’s fault I know but difficult to explain to the sending bank.

Hhmmm I signed up for the Beta for Monzo business accounts but if there are no international payments then that it’s an issue for me, I have a few American clients.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

Just had a quick read of the thread, and I’m a total tourist. But basically I’ve done work in Europe that I will receive payments every quarter. I’m getting absolutely hammered by RBS at the moment (AH!) I can’t afford for the payments to bounce or go back either, because getting paid as a freelancer is hard enough, never mind chasing people to make the payment again, in really shitty broken French.

By the looks of things, I’m better to get a Starling account?