Question about using pots abroad

Hi guys,

Say I have £200 in a holiday pot, and £50 in my regular account, is there anyway I can make the money I spend on holiday come out of the holiday pot or will it just automatically come out of the main account first and then only dip into pots once my main account has no funds left in it?

There’s no built in way for money to come from a pot as it’s spent.

There is an Monzo-created IFTTT integration for spending holiday money out of a pot, though!

Take a look here for the details: https://ifttt.com/applets/wPjuTRDe-if-i-spend-in-a-foreign-currency-withdraw-the-amount-in-pounds-from-a-pot

Just to clarify, once your main account hits zero money won’t be spent directly from any of your pots, you have to move it yourself.

With regards to the IFTTT applet, if you have £50 in your main balance and £200 in your holiday pot, any payments over £50 will bounce (or take you inter your overdraft) as the money doesn’t come out of your pot until after the transaction is made.

1 Like

The latter half of your statement is correct.

it just automatically come out of the main account first and then [you can] only dip into pots once [your] main account has no funds left in it

As @HoddzDJ states, you have to manually do it unless you investigate @danbeddows IFTTT option.

And in addition, it doesn’t work on the settled amount, so for most transactions it’ll be a few pence out.

1 Like

Thanks all :slight_smile:

1 Like