Q&A with Plum! / Feedback & Updates

An integration with iMessage would be cool

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try it for a while but never fancied giving yodlee all my credentials!

Honestly, financial stuff is not the sort of thing I want going over Apple’s, Facebook’s, or Google’s messenger service. They’re all known data harvesters, and it just sits really badly with me. I’m also not that sure I like the idea of the only interaction being by a chatbot anyway. It just seems like such a tiny window to view things through.

I like the idea behind the product, but the interface is key to me. I’d be looking for an app / web interface at the very least.

I don’t think Plum is for me.

4 Likes

I wonder if that’s on the cards with iMessage bots. That would be sweet!

Hey! Your tech fund for investing, what are the fees & whats the underlying fund you’re using? I clicked too fast to check out all the features on Plum, I can’t seem to find that information now I’ve set it up :grin:

Hey Paul,

We totally understand we will be working towards bringing more interfaces on board - there is already a web interface but app is on the to do list.

As for data and Facebook, we don’t share any data at all with Facebook (or anyone for that matter). Your personal data is 100% encrypted and protected, all sensitive details are also done in a webview rather than in Facebook Messenger itself. We never store (or have access to) your bank login details. If you want to know all the cool ways we do that you can take a look here.

3 Likes

I know screen scraping is not used for your access to Monzo.
But does the above statement mean screen scraping is not used to access to any of the banks you support?

Thanks for the response.

I understand you’re not sharing “financial data” per se, but all the chatbot updates and commands go over their message service. Correct? Aggregated, that stream could give quite a good insight into my financial situation. e.g. Is it worth sending me Sunseeker adverts or not? (It’s not!).

I know many chat services are end-to-end encrypted, but there’s still a layer of trust there. I don’t trust them (for this), and so by association I wouldn’t trust your service. That’s not meant as a direct comment on the trust worthiness of Plum or it’s employees. I also don’t get bank statements on postcards, and the Post Office have a much better reputation than Facebook right now.

Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood something.

I’ll keep an eye on you regardless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Brandon!

No problem here it is:

Tech fund (Apple, Google, Salesforce):
Legal & General Global Technology Index Trust I Class Accumulation
Risk level 6
Historic returns: 21.34% - 5 year trailing

Fee Structure
The fee structure is a simple £1 a month Plum fee for accessing investments and 0.15% annually on the amount you have invested; charged monthly.

Depending on options selected each have their own costs (these do not go to Plum):
For tech it is 0.32%

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hey Paul,

We totally appreciate that and it’s a big part of why we want to expand to other interfaces.

We know that as it stands - especially with the recent commentary on Facebook and data - lots of people will be put off Plum because it is hosted in a Facebook owned platform, even though they can use it without a Facebook account. We always want our users to feel comfortable and never want them to do anything they do not feel comfortable with, especially when it comes to their financial data!

Do keep an eye, with the round we just closed we are looking to expand our dev team and build lots of new and exciting things, including an app :wink:

3 Likes

Hey again Plum.

Thanks for answering my Q’s. Appreciate it.

Think I’ll give Plum a go for a bit - although I’m not sure it will be compatible with using a budget like YNAB, but am interested to see how it works if nothing else.

I have some more Q’s for you though, if you don’t mind.

I’ve literally just switched from my current account to Monzo - so I can’t link my old bank I assume (as the account doesn’t exist), and my Monzo only really has about 2 weeks worth of useful data, post switch. Will Plum be less ‘aggressive’ with savings while it learns, given so little data? Or will it assume my CASS balance is savings? Will it get confused at all, basically?

Other banks are connected via Yodlee which uses screen scraping. We do not have access to details, we forward your login details directly to Yodlee, our data partner.

Yodlee is the world leader in transaction aggregation, the process of granting applications read-only access to your data. Yodlee has been around for 17 years. It supports over 5000 financial institutions worldwide and is used by a number of major banks in the US and the UK as well. You can read more on Yodlee’s security practices here.

As these banks open their APIs they will all be moved to the Monzo method which uses ‘read-only tokens’.

2 Likes

Hey Ben!

No problem at all that is what we are here for :smiley:

Plum usually waits for 30 days of data before making any savings for you, if you like you can get in touch once you are signed up and we can see what we can do for you to speed it up.

As other people have said, I also would never link anything owned by Facebook to my financial information.

2 Likes

After initially linking my account ~36 hours ago, I’ve had to re-link it twice since. Can you shed more light on the technical issue than below?
imageimage

Have to admit I deleted my Plum account after less than 24 hours. Few reasons why:

• I didn’t like the interface. I thought it was a bit too childish and not very intelligent when asking questions. I also felt it was a bit of chore to do a simple task.
  • This is the first time I’ve used messenger and I wasn’t impressed.
  • I have a Facebook account that’s been deactivated for nearly 5 years now, so chose the ‘No Facebook account?’ option for Messenger setup via phone number. I ended up getting a bunch of friend requests, ‘waves’ and all sorts from people I knew and didn’t know pretty much as soon as I got the Messenger account. I’m fairly sure I never gave explicit access for the app to share my number/make people aware I was using Messenger and I couldn’t find the option to turn it off.
  • I tried to delete messenger after cancelling plum and was unable to, and somehow ended up reactivating my Facebook account.

:man_facepalming:

I’d be quite happy to try Plum out again in the future if they get a better interface with less reliance on Facebook/Messenger.

Integration with the voice assistant on my phone, direct implementation in the Monzo app or a separate Plum app are all preferable than whatever the hell Messenger offers.

5 Likes

@redshift this is a Q&A in which you’ve asked no questions… :thinking:

P.S. This thread is a better home for your comments

1 Like

When will the invest feature go live? Does Plum offer a tracking dashboard to see how your investing is going over time?

How is plum different to Cloe?

I think you can already sign up to this in beta?

it’s RateSetter in the background