"Proud Millennials"

Our joint account runs at zero - we budget using pots. The payment for our Tesco order declined as I hadn’t shifted the money from the pot…

Tesco phoned. I apologised and said that I just needed to move the money from the pot. The girl on the phone said “Do you use Monzo? I use Monzo because I’m a proud millennial” as if being a “millennial” is a requirement to use Monzo :slight_smile:

I thought that a very bizarre thing to say - it amused me…

So how many Millenials use Monzo, do they form the majority of customers?

I’m proudly Gen X :smiley:

edit - the wife informs me that she is a millennial. Seems they’re everywhere! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You go to a student style pub and the Hot Coral is everywhere

Profitable customers? That’s up for debate

2 Likes

Proud millennial user!

And yes, the stereotype is true - I’m lazy, I expect everything and I get bored quickly… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve not been to a pub since Christmas… don’t want the Covid…

Gen z checking in

Stop buying all those avocados boomers.

2 Likes

Gen Z? We’re at Gen Z already? When did that happen? :stuck_out_tongue:

Shouldn’t be too surprising when you consider that the oldest millennials are now reaching 40. So the Zoomers cover the mid to late '90s to 2010. Children born after 2010 are yet another generation, but I don’t think they’re sentinent enough to have claimed a name yet.

ETA: Generation Alpha comes next, apparently.

1 Like

The Oldest zoomers are 23 but some people put the bar at the year 2000 so it would be 20.

I thought Millenials were '81 to '96? - so the oldest would be be 39… bah, so I’m only months from being in that cohort.

Get off of my lawn, the lot of you.

</ cries in avocado toast >

2 Likes

Not eveyone pegs it to 1981, I align with definitions that put the start year for millennials at 1980 myself.

It’s pretty much a liminal year, and people born that year can more or less self-define, I’d say. A lot is down to the crowd you mixed with; if you had older siblings or were born early in the year, and so you mixed with mostly Gen Xers, you can say you’re Gen X. If you were born later in the year or you had no siblings and mixed with people your age or younger, you can say you’re millennial.

it’s approximately those born from 1980 to 1995.

So I was born at the start of 79, and most of my pals are from the years before. So I’m safely X - my reality has not changed for me :smiley:

1 Like

I used my Monzo card the other day and the transaction got declined because I had reached my contactless limit. The guy at the till was impressed that I could whip out my phone to find out what was going on.
Since he hadn’t heard of Monzo I ended up explaining the benefits of having the account.

4 Likes

Given millennials have been repeatedly done over by a system in which they have little to no say, I suppose pride is all they can cling to!

2 Likes

I use my joint account in the same way but we keep a buffer of £50 in there so in most cases we move out of the pot after the transaction… Makes it easier. The only frustrating bit is my wife’s inability to get it back to exactly £50… It’s like she does it on purpose

I don’t badge myself as any of that tosh, simply another human using a bank account

1 Like

This whole thing made no sense to me as services like Spotify and Netflix (both direct competitors to Apple) don’t use Apple’s payment processor, yet are allowed to stay on the app store, but other apps like Hwy! email and Fortnite are not because they try to use their own.

Can’t say I’m that particularly bothered to be a millenial myself. I didn’t realise I was one myself until I researched the word after hearing it so often. It is also wrongly attributed to Generation Z I have noticed. I also didn’t realise (until now) I was teaching Generation Alpha later today :upside_down_face: .

Here are the Generations (according to Wikipedia) so you can better accurately define yourselves: :grin:

Lost Generation

The Lost Generation was the social generational cohort that came of age during World War I. “Lost” in this context refers to the “disoriented, wandering, directionless” spirit of many of the war’s survivors in the early postwar period. […] In Great Britain, the term was originally used for those who died in the war, and often implicitly referred to upper-class casualties who were perceived to have died disproportionately, robbing the country of a future elite. Many felt that "the flower of youth and the best manhood of the peoples [had] been mowed down […]

Greatest Generation

The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation and the World War II generation, is the demographic cohort following the Lost Generation and preceding the Silent Generation. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1901 to 1927. They were shaped by the Great Depression and were the primary participants in World War II. […]

Silent Generation

The Silent Generation is the demographic cohort following the Greatest Generation and preceding the baby boomers. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1928 to 1945. […] "The most startling fact about the younger generation is its silence. With some rare exceptions, youth is nowhere near the rostrum. By comparison with the Flaming Youth of their fathers & mothers, today’s younger generation is a still, small flame. It does not issue manifestoes, make speeches or carry posters. It has been called the “Silent Generation.” " […]

Baby Boomer

Baby boomers are the demographic cohort following the Silent Generation and preceding Generation X. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1946 to 1964, during the post–World War II baby boom. […]

Generation X

Generation X or Gen X is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. There are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends. Demographers and researchers typically use birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s to the early 1980s. […]

Millennial/Generation Y

Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y , are the generational demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years. […]

Generation Z

Generation Z or Gen Z (also known as the iGeneration, Homeland Generation, Centennials, Generation Sensible, and Post-Millennials) is the demographic cohort after the Millennials (Generation Y). […] There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends, but demographers and researchers typically use the mid-1990s to mid-2000s as starting birth years. At the present time, there is little consensus regarding ending birth years. […]

Generation Alpha

Generation Alpha (or Gen Alpha for short) is cohort succeeding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media use the early 2010s as the starting birth years and the mid-2020s as the ending birth years. Named after the first letter in the Greek alphabet, Generation Alpha is the first to be born entirely in the 21st century. Most members of Generation Alpha are the children of Millennials. […]

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.