Progress update: Core App

Does that mean new categories on Android?

No just a redesign

1 Like

Did you mean it will be in labs later this week or live now as I cannot see it?

It’ll be in labs after the betas go out today

1 Like

Cool, how do you know it’s today?:face_with_monocle:

Android Beta always comes out on Thursdays :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I see, I’m on iOS but usually is Thursday/Friday to be fair.

I thought they were adding new ones?!

New category picker, first thought from iOS is has this actually been designed for iOS yet, cus it looks like Android in terms of design?

Know I need to wait a bit because new is nearly always jarring, but first impression is that it looks more drab in terms of colours and icons.

1 Like

So much space between the icon and the circle, looks a bit weird. They could easily make them bigger.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :unamused:

:expressionless::eyeglasses:

oh I can see them now.

I prefer the muted colours though, and the A-Z ordering.

:mage:

I am assuming it has been changed to allow for space for more categories.

3 Likes

Cards like that are following standard iOS design guidelines. See Apple’s Human Interface Guide.

1 Like

My only issue with this is that they’ve now made a three step process (click Transaction > Category > New Category) into a four step process (click Transaction > Category > New Category > Done)…

3 Likes

Agreed, the “Done” is a bad UX decision, totally pointless for picking one thing.

9 Likes

I’m assuming that this new category selector design has been done to allow custom categories which will probably be a “Monzo Plus” feature.

3 Likes

I’d hope custom categories were part of the consideration.

I wouldn’t assume they will be a Monzo Premium feature just yet.

2 Likes

I 100% can after seeing this paragraph in last Plus Update thread

The Tier 1 account is for the serious budgeters at Monzo who want to make their money work harder. In addition to some special offers and interest on your balance, we’re building the power tools these customers need to get the most out of their budgeting.

Exactly this.

This is what led me to speculate that custom categories could be coming (new design that doesn’t provide new functionality and is in labs) and what’s already been communicated in regards to the thinking behind the new premium accounts (power tools for budgeting).