Private Reg - anyone got a spare £35M?

I’ve seen recently ones that reshape digits slightly to look different , like straightening out a 7 to look like a 1 .

Very tinted ones are also comon.

Police don’t seem to enforce it often at all judging by the amount of them on the road.

I can’t believe there’s no central point to submit a photo and report an illegal plate. Mind you, most forces are barely coming round to the idea of dashcam submissions, they’re woefully behind the times.

I guess it’s not a high priority as long as they can still be read by ANPR cameras.

2 Likes

I was considering getting one but the paperwork is too much work.

Also my car is 11 years old but I have no plans of replacing it anytime soon.

I don’t have a car, but don’t think I’d get a private reg - though can’t be sure. I was happy to ask for a bespoke Monzo.me URL, so you never know!

Paperwork?

Buy it direct from the DVLA (cheapest) and then you can assign it to your vehicle online now. The biggest pain is drilling the holes and fitting the thing but that’s doesn’t take much effort :smiley:

1 Like

I got a 69 reg car, so considered getting one with LOL as the last three letters - but £400 for a puerile joke was a bit much.

It does get enforced but you’re unlikely to see it being enforced.

It’s the case that some people think that it’s ok to mess around with the plates. As more people see it, the more think it’s acceptable and the problem grows.

And, yes, there’s far too few police. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

A certain F1 World Champion probably does…

About to hand back my current car with a registration that ends OMG… sad times.

I wouldn’t call mine a private plate, but I got my first car from my grandad, bought it off him. And I’ve kept that reg on all my cars since :blush:

might fall under private :rofl:

1 Like

Their probably better referred to as cherished transfers.

1 Like

Thinking of buying one to pair with the one I have for my business. But when my wife (initials MM) suggested something more personal than business related and I suggested putting MM 69 PRO on retention she wasn’t impressed.

3 Likes

I bought one for my dad recently. Found a weird thing whereby. You cannot use a private number if it makes the vehicle appear newer than it is.

That’s always been the case that you can’t make a vehicle look newer than it really is (using the standard registration numbering system). It’d no doubt mess up the second-hand car market & insurance if you could.

2 Likes

My parents have private plates because they have nice but old cars and don’t want people knowing the age of the vehicles. It’s still a sort of vanity exercise to care about that sort of thing, but more understandable to me than that purely wanting your name on something.

Definitely mucks up the 2nd hand car market where folk might struggle to establish the correct age [should they even think about it]. Insurance companies will be able to check with DVLA and get the proper details. R-