Pots

I’ve moved your post here, as Hugo’s shared the details of the Pots feature that Monzo’s developing & a little bit of detail about the plans for future integrations, at the top of the thread. I hope that helps :slight_smile:

There’s more details about how the marketplace will work in this blog post too -

This would be unbelievably useful. Right now I have to go through the hassle of creating multiple savings accounts and it’s all a bit of a mess.

Bonus idea would be ability to route Monzo.me payments into a specific pot, this is something I’ve needed recently when arranging group holidays!

6 Likes

I’m quietly confident this will be acheiveable through the monzo.me link :soon: (after pots and current accounts arrive)

2 Likes

There is such a range of what these could be used for. Can’t help but still feel initially it’s reinventing the wheel when an additional account would solve a large chunk of these anyway.

Still remain unconvinced (as someone who actively runs more then one current account)that one will be all I would need or want. So as is I’m still pushed to another provider.

Have Monzo announced that they will only be offering one account per person? (May have missed it if so.)

1 Like

I’m guessing Lee’s referring to this feature -

which will hopefully make more sense to him once it launches…

I really like this idea, especially as I already use Money Farm and Coinbase. I have also looked at Nutmeg and Wealthify.
The part I’m missing at the moment is a good risk free saver.

The idea being that I have high risk in Coinbase, medium risk in Money Farm and low risk in a saver… perhaps with Monzo?

1 Like

Guessing it would have to be along the lines of sending money to one of your “public” pots. Otherwise it would be a security issue in displaying your private pots to the world. :thinking:

Good point. I guess you’d make sure it was a pot for a very specific occasion like “Wedding Gifts” or something

I think this is a more interesting additional bit of functionality to being a fully blown current account. It’s the easy functionality of saving
into lots of little pots that the big banks fail on so badly, please hurry up and launch this It’s desperately needed for consumer banking!

Love that you’ve got your priorities right, gaming console & tv before sofa.

2 Likes

Looks great - pots would really help save for car insurance, holidays etc. without having to have multiple savings accounts on the go.
Do you think you’d be able to integrate credit card balances in there too as well as an ISA? It would be useful for me to see exactly where I am with paying off credit…
I currently have a spreadsheet but if when Monzo do current accounts I could have everything at a glance in the app it would save me time. Plus be a much better overview / motivation on savings.

2 Likes

Sounds like a fantastic idea, makes it easy to keep control of disposable cash

zainjetha’s post below, is a reply to this comment -

https://community.monzo.com/t/partnership-with-nutmeg/12852/26?u=alexs

Thanks for mentioning this Alex.

In my opinion it looks horrible and enough so to draw that to @hugo attention. Nutmeg have likely out a lot of effort into creating their own bespoke UI, including elements which would include charts etc so I hope some of these would make it there too.

These third party accounts ought to be given their own tab or something with a. It more prominence and put on an equal level with current account.

If monzo were to stop at current accounts, I wouldn’t be at all unhappy at all. If integrations are going to be done they need to be as good as the bespoke experience itself otherwise why not users go ahead and install half a dozen financial apps each carrying out one thing and overbloat a good app? Do bear in mind the average could have several third party integrations.

Lastly I think pots and savings accounts ought to be clearly distinguished.

The idea isn’t to re-create Nutmeg in Monzo, it’s to give a useful summary and allow the ability to link through to Nutmeg itself to find out more.

2 Likes

Hi I am thinking about ditching my bank when Monzo becomes a fully fledged bank. The only issue I have is this. When I get paid each month, my money goes into my bank. I have a co-op bank account, I was able to setup 2 accounts so a fixed sum goes into one account (for direct debits and bills) and the remainder goes into a secondary account which is my disposable. Would it be possible to do this with Monzo. I love not having to worry if I’ve enough in my account as I know exactly how much my bills are each month so a fixed amount is deposited in that account then the other account is as I say just disposable income. I wouldn’t want an account where my bills and direct debits come out in the same place.

3 Likes

Hi Joe,

I’ve moved your post here as I’m pretty confident that the virtual pots which Hugo’s previewed at the top of the thread, will end up being the feature that enables you to manage your money in the way that you’ve described :crossed_fingers:

Does it sound like they’ll do what you need them to?

1 Like

Hi Joe,

From my understanding this is how the pots feature will work.
Rather than having to transfer your money into different accounts etc, you will just have a “Bills” pot for example.
When you get paid you just put your bill money into the Bill pot, and the rest is then available to spend on your card.

I believe as pots develop, you will also be able to pre populate a Bills pot with know Direct Debits etc, so it will set it’s self to an appropriate figure based on what your known outgoings are.

This is just my opinion based on all the forum posts over that last year, so please do take with a pinch of salt, but I do think this is where Monzo are heading with this feature.

6 Likes

Yeah I get the impression that :monzo: Monzo are rewriting the script, so one account will intelligently know how much to keep back for impending DDs and payments, and will tell you how much is good to spend. Taken a step further, the account will know how much you’d like to spend on different categories of things, and over time will get to know when big events, so as holidays are due (if you’ve booked them with the debit card), Christmas, and even learn when partners, kids and family members have their birthdays and offset funds against those events too.

I just keep in mind that I’m sure whatever I’ve thought ‘looks’ like the perfect bank account, Monzo will probably surprise me.

2 Likes