Inspired by a tweet from Stevie Buckley (https://twitter.com/StevieBuckley/status/971724116310089729), I came up with the idea of “Charity Pots” - Pots that automatically donate their contents to a selected charity each month. I’ve made some assumptions, which I’ll outline in a moment, and put together a quick prototype in Sketch to show how I think it comes together.
- Monzo customers would like to have a pot that automatically donates its contents to a charity of their choice each month
- That the full contents of the pot will be donated each month
- That the contents of all pots will be aggregated and donated on the same day each month, to save any potential charges to Monzo
- As donations are made from the Pot, and not from the account itself, a set date for transfer can be used, as the whole value of the pot will be transferred, meaning no shock when money “disappears” from your account.
- Creating a Charity Pot uses the same flow as creating a standard Pot, with an additional option on the set up screen.
Based on the above assumptions and the current visual design of the Monzo application on iOS, I’ve put together the following prototype to click through to show the flow.
Link to prototype: https://sketch.cloud/s/j4v1a/all/design/account-view-add-pot/play
- Add option to add a custom charity, in case there are smaller or lesser-known charities that are not on the list
- Add option for a certain amount (fixed £ or % based on income/balance) to be transferred to the Charity Pot each month.
- Add way to calculate aggregate total donation values across the network, so Monzo and their customers can see how much is being donated where.
I’d love to hear feedback from y’all. Especially if you have any ideas for other ways this could be improved.