POLL: Card Colour

So, that’s what navy blue conveys, but you didn’t answer why that is sensible for :monzo: Monzo.

2 Likes

Because the Navy is the “Primary Color”, it’s in the header of this forum, it’s the background of their homepage, the color of their TShirts and marketing campaigns. Navy is the core color for the brand. The brain naturally associates certain elements of products with colors. If you ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut, and the box was Lime Green, it wouldn’t make sense. If you made a PayPal purchase and the logo was Red and not their Typical Blue, you might think something’s wrong. Although this may be only the color of a card, “Color Association” is a crucial part of branding.

Again, I’m not against a Hot Coral, I’m just stating why the Navy MIGHT be a good choice, if you disagree, explain why the Hot Coral is a good choice rather than disregarding my opinion because you don’t agree.

(Response is in regard to your question and not personally to you, but to anyone who’s got a different opinion).

Here’s a few links to read up on about why branding colors are important.

1 Like

You asked why navy blue made more sense, not why navy blue made more sense for Monzo. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Is it not the default colour for a Discourse community?

Most certainly not, “Pantone 289c” is a brand primary color of Monzo. Hence why it’s on their website, application, marketing, etc. They (Monzo) chose to put the color there. - Other Discourse Forums may use any colors they wish to.

(On the official Discourse Demo, they use White as the header.)

It’s colour, old chap. :wink:

1 Like

Fortunately I understood what Shea meant & I’m sure most users did too. It might be better to focus on the discussion rather than seemingly just trying to score points..

6 Likes

When you’ve got nothing left to say, say nothing, you’d also be wrong by saying that as, “Color and colour are different spellings of the same word. Color is the preferred spelling in American English, and colour is preferred in all other main varieties of English.” I develop in different languages therefore the term I’m used to is Color. It’s neither wrong or correct. For example, right click and look at the source code for this website, you’ll notice “COLOR” pops up a lot.

I agree about “Scoring Points” and I’m sorry for going off-topic, I didn’t intend to cause argument, simply offering an opinion.

A genuine question on the default colour of the software (I didn’t know the answer) earnt me an over-the-top justification of navy blue and Pantone colours and branding where a simple “no” would have done.

It was somewhat of a surprise after supported him with his rationale of navy blue as a colour color. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It’s colour, not color… Just because tools and standards are written in other countries with other spellings doesn’t make those other spellings correct in written conversation.

My kids hate me for it but the continual seeping of American spellings into the English language is a bugbear of mine.

Shoot me now…

8 Likes

I talked to @paul at the Newcastle meetup a little while back (asking about the original debit card colour plan), and he said the plan was to launch current accounts with the hot coral card and offer other coloured cards further down the line

4 Likes

Yep. We are a UK company so lets stick with British English and avoid Americanisms and the US’s ‘alien’ spellings

2 Likes

I’m American I say mom and color so there

4 Likes

I appreciate the sample size is small and the poll participants self-selecting, so not necessarily an accurate representation of the Monzo customer base as a whole, but I found it interesting to note that almost two-thirds of people who expressed a preference went for the Hot Coral.

I understand why the psychology of colour determines that many banks prefer blue in their logo, though it should be noted not all banks. Customer opinion would appear to fly in the face of colour psychology.

As a challenger bank, Monzo’s Hot Coral serves to gain attention. Perhaps they’re also challenging conventions? From what I understand, they’ll go on to challenge further: I’ve heard talk of the aim being a financial hub rather than a conventional current account.

Oh, and I have something to say. The use of language within the app is important. Elsewhere in the community, contributors have expressed concern at OMG, OMG, OMG in a mocked-up example of an app screen. There’s a balance to be had (and that had, admittedly, not been through copy-editors).

Language and spelling is important, and for a British audience it would be relevant to expect the correct spelling of colour, for example. With the aim of a billion customers, I’d rightly expect that be adapted for different locales. Despite being the only nation to use an illogical date format, a different temperature scale and different spellings of words, to the rest of the world, I would not expect British standards to be forced upon the US.

At the end of the day, I care little for the card colour. I like the Hot Coral card. I like the image of the navy blue card at the beginning of this thread. What’s more important is that they get the product right. They seem to be doing a pretty good job from what I can see.

5 Likes

Arguably, because Monzo has used hot coral for so long, people now associate hot coral cards with Monzo.

Girl at Starbucks couldn’t remember what the hell that weird start up bank was, but she sure did recognize the hot coral card!

11 Likes

I don’t disagree one bit as I’ve said many times. I’ve been made to look the bad guy haha! I personally like the hot coral, however my opinion also thinks that (considering I work with branding) the Navy would also work for debit launch. Either colo(U)r works for me, just put a reason out there why the Navy may work, as you say, the Coral has already built up some recognition so that too may be worth keeping.

Every side has positives and negatives.

2 Likes

It’s always contentious! Wasn’t meaning to imply anything about you was just offering an alternative viewpoint to your suggestion :+1:

4 Likes

@amelia the Newcastle meet up was great! Hot coral is definitely here right now! Other card colours and designs will be kept under review like everything else by the skilful @hugo and his amazing design team! :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Aside from the whole design theory, I think that hot coral is a fantastic talking point, a few times I’ve whipped out the card and have had people ask me about it (Not gonna happen with blue I’m sure).

Also in a rebellious kind of way, I enjoy that yes the headers and things are blue (main colour) but that the card isn’t, part of me thinks it sums up the challenger/rebellious nature of the bank e.g. Doing something different

4 Likes

Maybe do a Black or Platinum Monzo card, with a higher grade of account for a monthly fee…