POLL: Card Colour

yep…and I was joking too :grinning:

1 Like

I would love it if Monzo could offer cards in Hot Coral.

Oh wait… they do! :smile:

Hot coral is to Monzo as Red is to Ferrari.

Monzo can be the ferrari of banking if they stick to their extraverted branding.

7 Likes

Exactly Monzo is hot coral!!

I still like the idea of hot coral (it’s the colour I’ll be having), but also another colour (optional) for those wanting a ‘toned down’ look at their business meeting.

Could we not have 2 cards for the same account, and take which card suits the moment??

or maybe 7 cards, one colour for each day of the week :wink:

2 Likes

Cracking idea!! I was being reserved with 2!!

Wouldnt have thought that was in Monzos control… Merchants systems expect it etc ??

A printed CVV is not needed. There are already banks in France who have replaced this with a panel generating changing CVV that change every few minutes so no reason why that could not be within an app

3 Likes

Sounds like the ideal solution, and clearly much better from a security standpoint.

Having a ‘security’ code on the back of the card itself has always struck me as a bit odd.

Could be a bit much for Monzo to revolutionise credit card security, as well as banking!! Each step at a time.

having had my hot coral Mondo investor card for about six months now it is becoming somewhat jaded and more like a lightly poached salmon pink card , the pigment in the card seems to have a limited life for some reason - and yes it does see the light of day quite a lot , but surely the pigment should last more than 6 months ? the talking point of a hot coral card will be gone by the time it runs out of date in 2019 :slight_smile:

Do be aware that some of the more recent cards are a very slightly different colour.

Just checked my Alpha card against photos from the day I got it and to within margin of lighting error, it looks about the same. Taking a card from my small stack of recent Beta cards shows a very visible difference though. The Alpha card does look faded compared to the brighter, bolder Beta cards from recent batches.

yes I think my point was more on the quality of the card pigmentation between print runs, and over time , I have had an alpha previously and an investor card and seen / handled quite a few beta cards - and my investor card doesnt seem to be holding its colour for some reason - just something for Monzo to be aware of in part of their USP

The mondo investor card was a very different colour… definitely salmon rather than hot coral. i know this was not due to wear and tear as they sent me a monzo beta card by mistake then a mondo investor card the next day and they were different shades :slight_smile:

1 Like

The hot coral card gets noticed all round the world (I’m currently travelling around the world). But the comment “you won’t lose that” does get tedious …!

Don’t change the colour. Coral is cool.

6 Likes

I saw somewhere on here a card with ‘3 layers’ anyway I vote Blue as above hot coral now and blue again

Would love black card with non raised numbers! Not sure if its a requirement that the numbers have to be raised on the card?

1 Like

It might be a requirement to help the blind and partially sighted?

1 Like

The raised numbers? Are they not for the old fashioned manual imprinters? The carbon copy machines?

I may not be remembering correctly but I think one of my very first debit cards when under 18 was a very bad quality one with no raised numbers, where the numbers soon faded after some use and I couldn’t buy anything online because they were unreadable :joy:

I don’t think raised numbers are a requirement, if so: Flat cards would suit that Monzo ethos of immediate notification and attempt to refresh and modernise the industry. Do we really want to use our Monzo cards on an old shop where they haven’t moved with the times and attempt to use the old manual imprinter?

I’m pretty sure that would be against fraud prevention regulations or whatever, you can’t even swipe & sign now as I understand it, unless your American or from somewhere else behind the times only just adopting chip & PIN.

Only recently ASDA had to resort to manual processing in one store when their computers or communications went down. Customers with printed rather than embossed cards had their cards declined and were unable to make their purchase.

3 Likes

Why do they have signature strips in the UK then if signing is against regulations? :joy: EDIT: OK, maybe they would be there for use abroad.

I was purely talking as a card feature and not as regulation but either way, both old-style methods of payment occur on a daily basis. All you need for a “card not present” kind of transaction is the credit card numbers. Happens when you sign up for a service or pay a bill over the phone and you can still find forms for subscriptions or mail orders where you just write your credit card numbers and sign, how’s this any different to a machine that imprints these details on the form for you and where you sign anyway?

As for swipe and sign: yep, that still happens quite frequently too. My local Winemark (chain of Northern Irish off-licenses) must have a problem with their machines because chip does fail quite often. They usually just resort to swiping and getting me to sign. They do ask if I am OK with it before proceeding though.