Pixel 5A thread

So I am planning to get a Google Pixel 5A 5G from the USA because for whatever reason it’s only released in the U.S and Japan

Good idea or no?

God only knows when the UK is getting a release, maybe along side the Pixel 6?

I’m just worried about network compatibility. I’ll be using MyUS to get it over here

In comparison I can get one from HK for £540 off ebay

Buying from google would be £330 + whatever MyUS charge for shipping/import tax

NETWORK Technology GSM / HSPA / EVDO / LTE / 5G
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66, 71
5G bands 1, 2, 5, 12, 25, 28, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6
Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G

No idea on the pixel chat but thank you for sharing myUS!

I’d been thinking for ages that such a service must exist but had never properly looked into it.

1 Like

It would be my first proper use of the service, basically it’s a mail forwarder

I might just get the phone because it looks like it’ll work

1 Like

@andrew_fishy Which network provider do you use/plan on using?

I worked at Three and might remember a thing or two :thinking:

I will have a Three PAYG sim in there, but also an EE contract eSIM, so 2 networks

I checked WillMyPhoneWork.net - Check if your phone works on a network

But it’s a very outdated website and doesn’t even show the Pixel 4a, let alone 5G compatibility :smiley:

I think you should be fine with Three at least - 3G/4G is definitely compatible and I had left the building by the time they finally rolled out 5G.

I’m going to go check with some of the people I still know there…

3 Likes

Oh wow, now that’s customer service, tysm!. Feels like I get better support here still! happy premium customer :smiley:

1 Like

So from one of my lovely friends at Three, the frequencies at 2100 (3G), 800, 1800, 2100 (4G) and 3600 (5G).

Hope that helps @andrew_fishy :pray:

3 Likes

Looking like it, it’ll work on Band 78 on 5G at least

Compared to the Pixel 4a 5G it is missing a few bands oddly

4a 5G bands:
5G bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 28, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78 Sub6, mmWave (market dependant)

Looking at the GSMArena for Bands listed in the U.S (it’s a U.S phone), not all are supported or it’s inaccurate

Edit 3: not even the iPhone 12 Pro has Band 42 for 5G which is apparently what the UK uses as well as band 78

Unless you’re absolutely desperate for a new device - or I’ve missed a definitive statement on the matter - it may well be worth waiting for the next Made By Google launch event (which is possibly going to happen in the next week or two) where they announce the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro release date, on the chance that they might also announce wider 5A availability. Then if they don’t, go ahead and import.

I’ve imported and bought devices whilst in the US before, and the risk you take is that it’ll be a much bigger hassle if you need to do a warranty RMA, and Google’s track record isn’t great unfortunately in this regard. I love their stuff, and will continue to buy their products, but looking back at my own history I have had to RMA the Nexus 5 (flickering screen), the Nexus 6P (battery issue that affected literally all units), the Pixel 4 XL (just died out of nowhere), and the second gen Pixel Buds (Bluetooth connection kept dropping and firmware refused to update).

5 Likes

I’ve just not had a Pixel device since the Nexus 6. it would be a secondary device in case I want to move back to Android and i’m only thinking Pixel as it’s always up to date and I need an android phone for certain apps not on IOS and testing Monzo for Android as it doesn’t have feature parity with iOS for some reason.

Yes, I can use an emulator on PC for that, but a Pixel would be nice :slight_smile:

I would get a cheap Samsung, but they lag very far behind on updates, unless you get a flagship phone (even those lag behind)

Hope the 5A comes to the UK and i’d get it (If not i’ll import it)

2 Likes

Confirmed it is not planning on a release here :frowning:

Decided to take a risk and import one via myUS

I wouldn’t count that as confirmation. Until Google announce something, the front line won’t know.

Why are you so keen to get the 5A? It doesn’t seem like a big change from the previous 4A model for one thing…

Mainly the bigger battery and IP rating

I can also get the 5a, imported CHEAPER than the 4a 5g

4a 5G is £500 new from google

5a 5g is £325 + free shipping, (to MyUS) - myUS will charge me $20 to ship it, don’t know how much the import fee is though

Import fees are usually crazy from what I recall, I think there’s a few websites which will actually calculate am estimate of what you’d be looking at.

Personally I wouldn’t be bothering with a pixel 5A it’s not really a step up from the last version as such.

3 Likes

That does make sense, maybe i’ll look at a cheap-ish Pixel 5 on ebay

1 Like

How would returns work? I only ask as I had a pixel 4XL that had to be returned twice within 9 months, I jibbed it after that and bought a OnePlus 7t

Probably use myUS to send it to send it back to google