'Phasing out' smoking?

So you back banning cars?

1 Like

We are banning non electric ones , but it’s always hard to say where the line is for a government, as much as they like God mode.

1 Like

Yes. Gasoline ones anyway. I don’t own my own car for a reason.

edit: I should probably caveat this point, and my last one for that matter, with a within reason asterisk. It’s a very simplified explanation of my thoughts on issues like this. Clearly those are never the only two factors at play, and others will have weighting too when it comes to deducing what I believe to be the right or wrong thing to do.

Travelling is a necessity for a lot of people, and for some, that means needing to use a car with no reasonable alternative, and I get that. Electric cars go a long way to solving that problem. Now they’re a thing, we absolutely should get rid of petrol cars.

Surprising how these 2 topics are (loosely) related.
It’s almost impossible to buy a new car these days that comes with an ashtray fitted as standard :rofl:

2 Likes

You ever noticed that poorer people in rural areas can’t afford eletric cars, it’s a anti poor policy to ban the use of perfectly fine older cars that cost under £1k. What elese are they going to do walk 14 miles to the nearest shop.

A car should last 20+ years it’s not a disposable item.

1 Like

So people who are 15 now, and who take up smoking, are going to be ID’d for their age every time they buy smokes for the rest of their lives.

1 Like

That’s why it’s not happening overnight!

banning the sale of new non-electric cars != banning non-electric cars. It’s a process, and it’ll take time. Just because it’s not a realistic change to make overnight doesn’t mean it’s not a future worth working towards.

“Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent”

–Steve Jobs

and he was dead right. As long as we prevent new instances from being able to occur now, death will eventually take care of the rest. That’s what New Zealand is betting on here.

2 Likes