PayPoint Shops don’t know how to process cash deposits

Probably because allowing cash withdrawals isnt to expensive compared to allowing cash deposits, and they likely cant really get away with it atm as you point out. As a business, they’re likely looking to hit things as cheaply as possibly. Monzo without cash only gets cashless customers, Monzo with cash even if its shit might get more customers in in hopes they stay for the other features.

I like cash, it has its place and probably always will. Cant pay for your things when the system goes down if you don’t have cash.

Agree. It’s not realistic to expect anybody to live cashless. This Paypoint implimentation has been a disaster and there needs to be an acknowledgement of that. But there hasn’t, and we carry on.

Will freely admit some have had a flawless experience but many haven’t. And it should be that that bad experiences are outweighed by the many good ones. This appears not to be the case.

It is never right that people are having to explain to cashiers how to do this, or to have to use specific language to deposit cash, or be told the many BS reasons why they can’t deposit (the machine isn’t working/we’ve reached our limit this month/we don’t take Monzo here).

There seems to be many blindly defending the indefensible here. Be realistic. This. Isn’t. Working.

7 Likes

Paypoint shops dont want to process payments as they dont make enough I work in a shop and the process of adding funds to a monzo account are effortless takes seconds to do just tell the staff member to swipe the card and how much you want to load and it’s done. Most retailers dont accept it because they dont make money from it from my experience I have used both the old terminal and new terminal provided by paypoint with out training and I find it very easy to use its straight forward

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight

In your experience could that suggest that some shopkeepers are feigning lack of knowledge of how?

1 Like

I have tried to pay money in twice, in two different Paypoint shops, both times they said it wasn’t working, after I pulled out the cash and card (really didn’t want to take the money).

Success rate 0%.

Yes paypoint do not visit stores to train staff on the updated services they provide, but like I said a 10yr old could do it, it’s that simple hand card to retailer and ask them to swipe it and tell them how much you want

2 Likes

It can’t be that simple as my local shop could not do it even after I told the assistant to swipe the card. He was certainly trying various things as I watched but no joy. No pressure on him as shop was otherwise empty.

You shouldn’t need to tell them how to do it. Even more so that your paying for the service and telling them how to do it. That’s just not right really.

3 Likes

A 10 year old is probably better at working electronics out and ‘having a go’ till it works to be fair than someone much older who isn’t interested in bothering.

2 Likes

retailers aren’t interested in training their staff has theres no profit for the owner, I haven’t had any problems adding funds via paypoint in any store I’ve used. I worked with paypoint terminals for over 15yrs and I’ve never had any training on the terminal

I have recently tried to pay money into a co op. The manager instantly said no. I explained that according to the website they did. They then phoned head office who told them no. So it still looks like they are having issues.

1 Like

I’m guessing that wasn’t head office they phoned :wink::laughing:

Either way it’s still an issue :blush:

1 Like

Is there any reason their head office would know either? No one knows you can pay cash in to a bank with paypoint never mind how to do it.

You’re right, absolutely no one. Not one person has managed to pay money in. All of us who did are sharing the same hallucination

5 Likes

I think this thread is a testament to the fact that paypoint is atrocious when it comes to this feature. And you know quite well I don’t literally mean everyone.

1 Like

Ah, got it. From now on I will assume your posts are hyperbole as you’ve just advised.

Thanks

2 Likes

What a way to talk to people. You represent monzo well.

You’re confusing me now. One minute you say not to take your posts literally and then when I agree with you suddenly that’s bad?

I’m out

2 Likes

I’ve had this at a couple of locations. Just tell them to swipe it instead of entering the card into their terminal and it should pop up with the amount to add to the card.

Amazes me why people “need training” to use basic UI systems. Surely it’s not that difficult to work out.

1 Like

Hello, I am brand new to this community and, as a retailer with a Paypoint machine, was searching for something else Paypoint related when I came across this thread. As “luck” would have it, I received “training” on how to process Monzo cash deposits just yesterday!

To explain, the training consists of 4 bullet points, a total of 32 words, on a composite email from Paypoint discussing other matters. This is pretty much how all training is delivered. As is normal for my shop, I have printed out the email and it will be given to each of my 7 part time staff to read, initial that they have done so and it gets filed with other Paypoint instructions. The staff will have read the 4 bullet points, they are now trained, yes? Six months down the line you, as someone wanting to deposit cash, come in and get served by one of my part timers who has never yet seen a Monzo card, she has totally forgotten ever reading those 4 bulletin points, can’t find the appropriate email, is flustered because the queue is getting agitated and rather than make an error she says we don’t appear to have that facility. As a customer, that is not your problem, it is my problem but I’m not in the shop for another 3 days so you can see how a situation can arise.

I want people to leave my shop pleased or at least satisfied that they were able to conduct their business appropriately but I know that is not always the case. A number of posts back comments were made along the lines “you have a Paypoint machine, you should be able to do it”. That is not strictly true for all machines. I do not have the Collect+ facility nor the congestion charge facility in my store. The fact the machine is there does not mean all facilites can be accessed. However I imagine a Monzo transaction will be easy enough.

As coincidence would have it, I needed an additional bank account and was put off by the hoop jumping required by banks where I have been a customer for decades (years ago I was a bank manager and did not qualify to open one of my employers accounts because I did not have suitable ID at the time!) so this training email alerted me to Monzo and within the space of a few hours my account was set up and I had transferred funds to it. I’m looking forward to receiving my card to see just how to deposit cash through my Paypoint machine. It’s likely to be the one and only time but I like to be prepared. :smiley:

21 Likes