Payments with Friends Setting

You’re not forced into using an optional feature in the first place.

monzo.me comes as a separate feature and is explicitly opt-in.

3 Likes

This hits the nail on the head perfectly.

2 Likes

I understand it’s an optional feature but you can only use it if you’re happy to forego your right to privacy. If you don’t want to share your details with other Monzo users, you can’t use the feature. I don’t think the two things should be linked.

2 Likes

I may be wrong, but I don’t think it shares any of their account details, or even their name. I’ve got a few contacts saved as just their first name, and that is all they show up as in my app. The app just shows me that the person I have saved as ‘Dave’, for example, has a Monzo account.

I do see where you’re coming from though.

2 Likes

You’re talking about two separate things here.

I don’t disagree with you that they shouldn’t be linked, I don’t think they should be.

But you’re original post I quoted was talking about GDPR. And like I said in my last reply, there won’t be an issue with GDPR as the feature is optional, and choosing to turn it on forgoes you choosing privacy over said feature.

1 Like

Getting deja vu…

https://community.monzo.com/t/is-monzo-requiring-access-to-contacts-for-joint-account-opening-monzo-me-necessary-secure/42381?u=gaoler

GDPR has not stopped companies essentially blackmailing you into handing over data. If you want the service, hand over your data…

1 Like

I also don’t think it foregoes anyone’s right to privacy. I’m pretty sure the only things it shows to others is that you have Monzo and your Monzo profile picture (if you have one).

However, I also don’t understand why Payments with Friends is required for monzo.me.

1 Like

I have it on but like others have mentioned, some people are work colleagues that I’d never pay. The Monzo contacts are in a random order and change every few days. The ability to hide people would be useful but ultimately payee management needs a big overhaul imo e.g. my partner has 3 bank accounts including Monzo. It would be great to have these in one contact card with each account labelled so I know which is which.

2 Likes

The way Starling do payees is really good, lets you create a ‘contact’ and then have all their various accounts saved.

1 Like

The ICO’s advice is to avoid making consent to processing a precondition of a service. You shouldn’t need to turn that option on in order to use monzo.me.

4 Likes

I have it on. I find it highly useful. My contacts are all family/close friends so it’s a list of other Monzo users who I may not pay often but I know use their account.

1 Like

Except it then doesn’t display enough account details in each transaction to easily identify the account you’ve used for that transaction for that contact…

Ah OK. I’ve only set up contacts, not actually used it so far!

I think the point is not that it can be useful, it’s that it’s not really necessary, but has been made mandatory for monzo.me

2 Likes

I would recommend avoiding it altogether. It’s really annoying if you ever have to work out exactly what account you sent money to.
I pointed this out to Starling and their “solution” was to check the transactions listed under the payee. So you have to check the transaction and date, then go to the payee and try to find the transaction again… Urgh

Don’t know when that was but when I click on a transaction where I’ve sent money to someone, I can see the account details along with the payment reference.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks! Sounds like a headache.

I can see the payee name, the account number and sort code, and the reference, but not the account name!

Maybe you have your payee’s account numbers off by heart. Otherwise, I can’t see how you can easily identify the specific account for that payee.