Partnership with Nutmeg?

The answer to your question is in your post :slight_smile:

Monzoā€™s for everyone, from students, to travelers, to people who have a bit of money to invest. Itā€™d be difficult for them to get to a billion users if the service was limited.

You wouldnā€™t expect one of the legacy banks to only be aimed at a certain demographic would you?

2 Likes

* The posting of helpful links has been deemed unhelpful by those in control of this community.

Iā€™m not sure which student websites you were referring to - canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen much marketing myself for it.

Iā€™ve not seen Monzo marketed on student websites, only on MSE. They have done campus visits though

1 Like

Point taken in respect of attracting the thrifty end of the market, with MSE, and wealthier types with alliances like Nutmeg.

I also understand endgame with prepaid was to get to banking licence for current account. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™d post the link here, ā€¦but it is forbidden.

Makes sense for Monzo to market to different groups like this. Just frustrating that, for people who register here because they want to join Monzo, are effectively dissuaded from doing so.

I donā€™t get what you mean, Iā€™ve posted external links without it being removed or forbidden? Donā€™t people post links all the time?

Edit: why are they dissuaded from joining monzo on these sites? Iā€™m genuinely confused

1 Like

Itā€™s a Kafkaesque situation where posting links about Monzo to help prospective Monzo customers are deleted whereas links to an erstwhile competitor, Starling, are allowed to stand. Anyway, I think thatā€™s getting us a bit off topic.

In terms of Monzoā€™s current account, I am excited in the potential and seeing how they put things into practice. For me, thereā€™s obstacles to Nutmeg but Iā€™m interested to see what things Monzo can do with other associated services and FinTech startups.

Itā€™s posting excessive referral links/ misleading people that it isnā€™t for personal benefit/ not disclosing the amount you get that isnā€™t encouraged (and also not banned, since they suggested doing a wiki for it). No one will ban you for posting a link to a source haha!

Iā€™ve seen links to other fintech companies on here that were well-received, like Tail, Revolut, Starling etc. Maybe itā€™s not entirely on topic but I remember one of the concerns raised on the forums was about disclosing how much Monzo would earn from a referral link if they promoted/ included a company in the app (under a separate section).

As Johnny said, weā€™re off topic here. Could we please get back to discussing the Nutmeg partnership :raised_hands:

If anyone has anymore thoughts on referral links that promote other companies, they can post them here -

No. These werenā€™t referral links. They were links similar to Monzo Golden Ticket. :wink:

I use HL because I enjoy picking my own investments and their app has relatively recently been massively improved and my OH uses MoneyFarm because she doesnā€™t so it would be awesome to see integration for those.

I think a lot of people may move to Vanguard as they are low fee so that might be another company to keep an eye on.

One thing that myself and my OH do a lot is have pots of savings with our current accounts, but these pay at least some interest. Does Monzo have any plans to have savings accounts that arenā€™t ISAs or to integrate with others? I say that because having read the microsaving thread Iā€™d love to round up my spending into an easy access saver.

1 Like

Theyā€™ve not said that theyā€™ll offer savings accounts & we know that they wonā€™t pay interest on in-credit balances for the current accounts - even though they could probably afford a bit, like Starling.

So my assumption is that all of the savings solutions will be made accessible via the marketplace, rather than being provided by Monzo themselves.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Chip Integration - Automated Micro Savings

Aviva is taking a majority stakeholding in Wealthify, which includes buying out the crowdfunding investors stakes at an 18.7% premium.

Not a bad return in 10 months :grin:

1 Like

Personally I find that disappointing - Aviva are exactly the sort of company I donā€™t want to deal with - I want fintech startups to kill off the old dinosaurs, not get gobbled up by them.

And 18.7% is rather poor for the level of risk taken on.

5 Likes

It was a bit below what I was expecting, however the app hasnā€™t developed at the speed I would have hoped and I wasnā€™t sure I would get anything back. As such, a modest profit is better than nothing. Aviva will have the funding to really promote the brand should they wish so it gets the visibility that others in the space already have.

My sentiments exactly and I am so disappointed I have moved my investments back to Nutmeg where I started.

Iā€™ve been using Nutmeg for a while now, and Iā€™d love the ability to add ā€˜MoneyBoxā€™ functionality to it. If Monzo could facilitate extra contributions by rounding up purchases that would be excellent, and hopefully not too difficult to do.

1 Like

I use Hargreaves Lansdown and have been very happy with them. I pick and choose my investments and transfer cash in for each new purchase, I also have two funds that are topped up automatically by direct debit each month.
Monzo could integrate so that you pre-choose a couple of funds, have these set up on a separate tab within the app you can then transfer spare cash directly to the fund you choose from your preset ones.

3 Likes

I hope Monzo can steer clear of the likes of Aviva. If a supply partner is needed Iā€™d be happier with a mutual like Royal London.

3 Likes