Paramount+

I am liking the app and havent run into any issues, but am just a bit confused what Showtime really is. I know it is an American channels with some dramas but thats about it. The other channels do have some presence in the UK (nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central) so i already know what sort of content is there.

It really doesnt matter as Ill get used to what sort of shows are in that channel, but just something that probsbly could have had a quick explaination when you first sign up to explain what it is as it can help with navigation etc.

It seems Paramount themselves dont quite understand the categories either considering Super Pumped is a Paramount+ exclusive, is in that channel, yet is in the banner image for Showtime.

Like I said, it doesnt really matter, but organisation does help imrpove navigation, and is one of the things I think Disney+ does well, especially compared to Netflix

It would look a little silly if the enterprise was still run by switches :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess at some point they’ll have some attempt to remake TOS with modern graphics.

1 Like

now that would be interesting a remake of TOS i wonder if thats what is in the pipe line since Kirks father is on the enterprise just now and Pike already sees him self disfigured ?

1 Like

The problem with all these characters we know being in it is nobody can die… uhura we know has a long career ahead of her (albeit as the receptionist… 1960s casting FTW). George gains the captaincy of the kelvin before dying 12 minutes later… Pike himself merely becomes horribly disfigured.

So when they’re trapped somewhere with no escape, there’s a significantly reduced sense of peril.

1 Like

So after being available for a few days, what are everyone’s thoughts on Paramount+? Will you continue to subscribe after your free trial? Will it be replacing an existing service or are you adding it to your existing services?

For me, I am interested in more shows than I originally thought so will be keeping it after the trial. It will only get better once thet get more of their older stuff from other services. It will briefly be added without cancelling any of my other services, but I am intending to cancel Now once I’ve watched a few of their new and upcoming shows in the next few months.

I have ‘tried’ cancelling NowTV, but each time I go to cancel they always do a ‘Stay with us for a discount!’. I’ve currently got the entertainment pack for £5 and the cinema pack for £4 until December.

It will be the service most likely to go though once I get to December as it’s really only the one service that I don’t just ‘browse’ and I tend to only watch specific shows on it when they’re released. So, it’s easier to just get it for a couple of months when I know there’s something on there.

I’ll be keeping Paramount+ at least until Aug to watch the whole season of Strange New Worlds. In that time, I intend to watch some of their other ‘exclusive’ Paramount+ shows - Halo, The First Lady, SuperPumped esp as it looks like some of the other streaming services are having a bit of a quiet time with new series now (after next weekend and the final 2 episodes of Stranger Things, I don’t think there’s anything new of interest on Netflix for a few months, there’s nothing on Apple TV or Disney+ either coming out).

I do hope they can sort out some of the ‘missing’ films in their back catalogue though - like the Mission Impossible films where they only seem to have 3 of them, and I’m just devastated that they’re missing the first Transformers film so that I can’t sit through a Transformers Marathon and watch all of them straight through, and then go and see a doctor as my brain dribbles out of my ears…

1 Like

I do agree with you about Now. I get that when there are specific shows I want to see, and once I watch them all, I cancel it.

There are a few Disney+ shows Im interested in over the next few months (Ms Marvel, She Hulk in August, Only Murder in the Building, as well as some others) plus I have a few Apple TV+ shows to catch up on. Now will definitely be getting cancelled shortly, even though Im still on a special offer.

been a couple of good horror films , and by putting it through the tivo 360 and 4k tv the quality is good , like wise strange new worlds is def one to watch and will keep it for that and the movies no doubt there will be other things that catch my eye as time goes on , so it will be added to my subscription list for now

1 Like

Yes I’m enjoying it. Super pumped is pretty good, though I’ll admit I’m only really watching it to see how they portray the Apple execs and they haven’t come into it yet besides the odd name drop.

Halo is great to rewatch!

After the first few months are up, I’m not sure. Evil and the good fight should hopefully be on this and they’ll keep me subscribed for a while.

I’d rank it below Apple TV+ and Disney+ but above now tv and prime, and perhaps on par with Netflix, but it’s £5 cheaper than Netflix. It has a place but time will tell if this will be a subscribe when there’s something I know I want to watch style of service, or subscribe indefinitely type one like Disney and Apple.

I’m starting to feel the studio specific streaming apps might not be such a bad path forward. Puts an end to the bickering over rights so the content I want is always there, and I can pick and choose whose content I want and when.

2 Likes

I’m starting to feel the studio specific streaming apps might not be such a bad path forward. Puts an end to the bickering over rights so the content I want is always there, and I can pick and choose whose content I want and when.

Fully agree with you there. It also makes finding something less stressful as you don’t feel the need to watch something just because it is leaving soon or might end up leaving in the future (I feel that with Now a lot).

I would also rank it similarly to you, with my ranking probably being

Disney+
Apple TV+
Paramount+
Now
Prime
Netflix,

from the best (Disney+) to my least favourite (Netflix). Looking at that though, I do wish some of the services were a little more creative with their name. Along with those three, we also have Discovery+, ITV Hub+. and All 4+.

3 Likes

Just realised I had quite a bit of money saved up from Google Opinion Surveys on my account. That, plus a £4 voucher from Google One means I am a lot more happier about subscribing as Im spending a lot less of my own money.

I wish more services would use Google Play to subscrive (although to be fair, Im not exactly sure if any of the others do as Paramount+ was the first one I subscribed to using the app rather than website).

I’m not sure is The Last Of Us TV Series will be on Paramount+ or HBO+, but I think I will get it off RARBG+, or maybe TPB+

HBO, along with the pretty little liars reboot. So it’ll be on Now TV for us. Which means I’m gonna have to sub to that for a while and I really hate subscribing to now tv. At least you can do it via the App Store again. It also means we’re probably gonna be waiting a bit after the US before they’ll air so RARBG+ is totally fair.

Sky are gonna be in an odd position when HBO becomes its own thing here. I suspect it’s largely their content that keeps their customers paying.

1 Like

I cant see Sky/Now being able to keep their current pricing when HBO content leaves.

If you just consider Now, thats £9.99 each for cinema and entertainment. Theres no way they will be able to continue to charge that when HBO and Warner Bros content goes. I also assume that at some point, the Paramount content will stop being added to Now. This isnt the case at the moment (Cliffard The Big Red Dog was added to both Paramount+ and Now cinema), but I assume this is just because of pre-existing deals rather than something Paramount wants to continue doing.

1 Like

I think it depends how successful they are at pivoting and keeping this content on board. Think Apple TV channels but all bundled together in a single subscription. I believe that’s what they’re aiming for with the likes of Peacock, Paramount, and HBO. So the streaming services will exist independently. But if you want all of them, you’ll be able to get them bundled with Sky for perhaps a bit cheaper than they’d cost separately.

If they succeed I think they’d remain an attractive option.

2 Likes

It’s worth checking the website. If you haven’t subbed for a a while there will likely be an offer. I have Entertainment for £4.99 and Cinema for £1 at the moment.

2 Likes

I’m finding Paramount+ to be pretty good, actually. Have already gone through the first three episodes of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, the entirety of Star Trek Prodigy, Halo, South Park Post Covid and its sequel, and will be shortly adding The Man Who Fell To Earth to the list. Everything I’ve seen so far has been excellent.

No complaints here, especially given I have a Sky Cinema subscription and thus included for nowt (for now, at least).

3 Likes
2 Likes

They do seem to be partnering with more services and channels, and also making more Sky Originals than they used to be. Alibi was added to Now today, for example*. I do wonder if they will continue to partner with HBO when HBO Max launches. Quite a few of their shows are co-productions so I assume these will stay with Sky/Now when Max launches.

*although I have just realised National Geographic has been removed, but that isnt really a surprise considering it’s on Disney+.

1 Like

Upon having a quick look at the wikipedia page and it seems in some countries, they are launching as SkyShowtime rather than Paramount+. SkyShowtime seems to be essentially Paramount+ and Peacock merged together. I can see jouint-ventures like this happening a lot more over the next few years.

It just seems odd to me that in some countries they are willing to join together like that but in others, like the Uk, we are ending up with Peacock included with Sky/Now, Paramount+ included with Sky Cinema (but also being a separate app), and then Sky also having Now (which I still think is a bad brand considering a lot of people still don’t know it has anything to do with Sky).

Whilst this set up isn’t exactly confusing, you would have thought there was a better way to do it. It is probably made a bit worse considering Now does have a lot of Paramount+ shows and movies, in particular Showtime shows.

If I were in charge (which I’m not, and this obviously depends on various legal deals etc), I would rebrand Now as SkyShowtime and include Sky, Peacock, and Paramount+ stuff. They clearly aren’t against doing deals, but it seems they don’t want to do this in countries where Sky already operates in.