Our plans to help you pay in cheques, just by taking a picture

(Sheryne Shillingford-Reed) #123

Thanks! That’s a long way off though :pensive:

(Jo Levy) #124

I haven’t written cheques for a long time, but still get them from family for Cristmas and birthdays! :joy: I actually don’t mind putting them in the post to my Monzo account (it is honestly quicker than trying to get to a bank branch in opening hours these days), but the postage + clearing time is a bit of a drag, so deposit via photo would be fantastic. I can wait till early next year - just in time for Christmas cheques!

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #125

Why not just keep the Halifax app open for the cheque deposit?

(Sheryne Shillingford-Reed) #126

Keep a bank account for no other reason than to deposit 2-3 cheques a year? And then still have to transfer the money out to another account to use it? Thanks, but way, way too much effort! :joy:

(Excited about Christmas) #127

Not really. Why is not touching an account too much effort? It’s the only reason I’m keeping HSBC open…

(Nick) #128

Keeping a mostly dormant bank account open is way less effort than closing it, I find.

Paying cheques in to my other bank account is way less effort than posting them off to Monzo, I find.

Admittedly in my case I still route some spending through my other bank account, so I don’t necessarily then have to transfer the money over to Monzo. I have a standing order, though, so it would be relatively straightforward to alter or top up that if I needed to.

It’s also useful for depositing cash. Can’t do that with Monzo at all. And, despite being largely cash-free for some time now, I’ve just swept my room for change and found £30-odd :grimacing: That’s going to go back in the bank somehow, spending it as-is would throw my budgeting off becase cash is almost untracked.

But seriously. Leave the account open, then it’s there if you need to use it. If you don’t then eventually the bank will write to you and close it for you. Much less effort all around.

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #129

We have very different perspectives on ‘effort’ it would seem.

It’s best practice to have a second bank account anyway, no matter who you bank with (one with a different logo on the card – Halifax use Visa) in case Monzo or Mastercard is unavailable for whatever reason, or to keep in a hotel safe whilst you’re abroad in case your Monzo card is stolen.

(Campbell Gray) #130

Lloyds have recently released a service by which you can cash in cheques using your smartphone camera. As someone who receives cheques every now and then, a service like this would be very useful.

(If there's the wrong end of a stick, you'll find me holding it.) #131

It’s coming

(Jack) #132

@HughWells @cookywook

This info in app regarding your address is still outdated :slight_smile:

(Punit Mannari) #133

Lloyd’s have had it for a while buddy…u probally never noticed it…I used it first like 6 months ago then again used it last month…both times cleared next working day on the dot at 4pm

(Hugh Wells) #134

There is mail redirection in place and the Freepost address has been updated :slight_smile:

(Nikhil velani) #135

Any news on this I have a small cheque to bank I’m happy to test it out?

(Hugh Wells) #136

What news are you looking for? :slight_smile:

You should be good to post it to us :+1:

(Jonathon) #137

How long does Freepost take? I posted a cheque Saturday and no idea if it’s equivalent to first class or second class or a complete class in and of itself!

(Liam) #138

I’ve had a cheque arrive in a couple of days and one arrive after a week. :man_shrugging:

(Jonathon) #139

Ugh. Haha.

Barclays make them available same day by photographic image. The latency is to allow outdated fraud detection systems to work. Technically, banks can verify in 1 hour but the fraud issue requires they wait 5 working days for the cheque issuer to report a fraud event or some horse manure like that according to several high street banks.

(Sheryne Shillingford-Reed) #141

I have way too many accounts with too many institutions, standard banks, new banks, app only banks. I’m trying to streamline and have less places to monitor, check and keep a minimum level of funds in. The only benefit to Halifax is the cheque deposit. The app is clunky, takes way too long to log in, etc, etc. I’d rather drive to the next town, because my main bank closed my local branch, and take a cheque in a few times a year than keep an account for the sole purpose of image cheque deposit when I know it will be rolled out in at least two of my other banks by the end of the year

(David Redmond) #142

Would be good to have a picture of the cheque that was paid into account when you say you have received it.