Our plans to help you pay in cheques, just by taking a picture

When you post a check, does a scan appear in app?

No

1 Like

Starling do this - it is indeed a nice little extra

2 Likes

Ah, all US banks do this. It used to be you got your checks physically back with your bank statement.

After 9-11, the Check 21 act was passed which allowed banks to process checks by scanning them. This was enacted because the national ground-stop meant that checks could no longer be flown back to the issuing bank’s the regional processing centers, severely bringing the US banking system to a halt. The intent was to prevent this in the future.

As a result, checks are no longer retuned to the customer physically, but as an copy called a “substitute check” this is because there is a legal obligation for the bank to do so, as it is the customer’s duty to ensure there are no unauthorised signatures or alterations.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/4/4-406

This actually opened the door for remote deposit quite early in the US.

Alternatively, many institutions have a disclaimer when you pay by check, it will not be cashed, but you the customer authorise the payee to use the details of the check to make a direct debit. In this case no substitute check is generated.

5 Likes

So the US implemented a system to make passing slips of paper around to pay people easier, but didn’t implement a system to just make payments electronic.

Mental.

1 Like

:grin:

To be fair, without nationwide internet it would have been hard to implement something like that that had the same functionality.

Being able to pay my plumber right away would
not be possible without mobile or internet banking. Not everyone had a computer at the time. Plus the plumber couldn’t confirm receipt without one either.

But you’re still writing checks in 2020, so…?

And Britons have been able to pay bills at ATMs and over automated telephone banking for the past 30 years, so…?

You also do not have over 10,000 different banks. There are basically 4. Additionally until recently each state had separate banking regulations. Interstate banking is relatively new.

Would you let your plumber wait at your house while you went to the ATM to pay him?

It is over 20 miles to the nearest ATM.

Great added feature I can see this helping a lot for bussnes account but personal account maybe nit as much but still great to see .

No, you’re right. Myriad reasons why the world’s most advanced nation, the one which invented the internet, still banks in the 17th Century.

5 Likes

This is what baffles me when there are some individuals on here who are constantly petitioning UK Monzo to be more like the US banking system. Makes no sense what so ever :exploding_head:

3 Likes

I would love to have an instant payment system, however I am just explaining why it is not as easy to setup as it was in the UK hence why things are behind.

Our FasterPayments system should be ready in a few years. https://fasterpaymentscouncil.org

That being said, Monzo in the US really needs checks to get by given he current banking infrastructure.

2 Likes

This article is for UK customers. If you want it in the US, create a topic in the relevant section and get people to vote on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Already done.

1 Like

I would like to thank the US Monzo users who have contributed to this thread. I have learnt a lot about the US banking system as a result which reminds me how lucky we are to have a progressive banking capability in the UK.

We still have some very odd things (like Chip+PIN being required and not Tap+PIN which is used extensively across the EU).

3 Likes

Unless I’ve missed something, the last indicated launch date for this feature in this thread is August 2019, nearly a year ago. Any update from Monzo please?

It isn’t coming

2 Likes

Yes they decided not to go ahead and priories other things

5 Likes

The promise of this was actually the reason I originally switched to Monzo, as I assumed that given they were a tech focussed bank, they would roll it out much quicker than the legacy banks. Oh how I was wrong…

4 Likes

Indeed. I do like your phraseology but only because it made me think of this in terms of the irony of expecting a ‘digital’ bank to move fast to further the movements of ‘analogue’ bits of paper. I’d never thought of this in these terms before.

4 Likes