Our Plans to Close the Monzo Prepaid Cards

Can’t say you’re the only one who thought that. I wouldn’t have been surprised if the deadline was delayed

1 Like

Is it all at 9am (full blackout) or phased from 9am?

1 Like

I expect it to be a full blackout right away, I see no technical reasons for it not to be that way.

2 Likes

The accounts will become read-only tomorrow. There will be a small grace period where you can still login and view your balance and upgrade. After that, we’ll start refunding all balances to the cards they were topped up from.

This may not be the most recent mockup but this is more or less what it’ll look like. Hopefully none of you lovely forum folks will be seeing this screen :grinning:

18 Likes

I don’t think so, it’s just a time we agreed on internally.

I wrote the code to close all remaining prepaid accounts today, and it will be running tomorrow :slight_smile:

edit: prepaid accounts, obviously

16 Likes

Let’s take bets on the time the first thread is created about how the card has stopped.

I’m going with 09:10

4 Likes

I’ve got 10.23 am

And creating a new user name and logging in to start a thread is strictly prohibited :no_entry_sign:

5 Likes

I’m sticking at 9.05 as my bet.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see how CA numbers change tomorrow from 9am. Currently sitting at 570,602

2 Likes

I’ll edge for a middle ground and say 9.45 :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

I’ll go late-ish then and say 10:45 am.

1 Like

Equally, will really be interesting to see the card orders tomorrow :slight_smile: I personally expect a big spike of people which thought we were just kidding, might put it off or didn’t really believe their card would be stopped.

8 Likes

Is this true? Coz 94% is :exploding_head:

http://www.cityam.com/283310/monzo-breathes-sigh-relief-vast-majority-active-users/amp?__twitter_impression=true

2 Likes

I believe it, because it says 94% of ACTIVE users.

The majority of people who signed up for it as a travelcard are unlikely to be in the active user box, as we’re outside of peak travelling time at the moment.

1 Like

Says 362,000 switched from prepaid, 98,000 haven’t. That’s pretty amazing

But 98,000 isn’t 6% of the total unless maths had changed

1 Like

Pretty hilarious that they posted it at 12.01am

Talk about wanting to break the news :wink:

We’re ecstatic at the amount of people that have chosen to stay with us as we “graduate” so to speak! :grinning:

This week might just be full of surprises :wink:

20 Likes

Yeah, Way to steal your thunder!

Omg you’re getting me a unicorn!!! :unicorn:

2 Likes

I think the idea is that we become the unicorn :grin:

5 Likes

I doth my hat sir. Spoken like a true PR genius

5 Likes

Half-Life 3 Confirmed?

3 Likes