Our Plans to Close the Monzo Prepaid Cards

We’re planning to begin the process of closing down prepaid cards as everyone upgrades to full accounts. Read more here!

17 Likes

Excellent news!

How many are still left on the prepaid scheme @tristan ?

4 Likes

Brilliant news! It’s so ‘legacy’. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Does this mean that monzo.me will begin rolling out to all current accounts soon, or is there a technical piece (rather than scale or workload) that will need completing to make that happen?

Would be interested to know this too!

1 Like

Fair enough, however it’d be good to share what happens to those who don’t upgrade for whatever reason and have money left on their prepaid card. I can try and spend the little money I have on prepaid, still I’m sure you have a plan to address this for all users?
Thanks,
G

2 Likes

No need to worry! We’ll refund the money back to you in that case :slight_smile:

How will that actually happen? Will you be sending out cheques, etc.?

Ultimately, if you are unable to get in contact with some account owners, their contact details are out-of-date, their address has changed, etc. - what are you going to do?

1 Like

Yes it does :slight_smile: @Jami has exact timelines but I think it’s pretty close

4 Likes

As per T&C you are obliged to keep your details up to date with Monzo. If you fail to do that, then I’d say, that’s tough …

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply.
How would you do that?

I hope for you there won’t be many impacted, however there can still be a
few who’d like to know how that would work.

Similar to debit card top ups, we needed to rewrite the code that handles monzo.me transactions so that it integrates with our current account systems and COps tools. Customers who upgraded from prepaid are able to use Monzo.me with their current account because we can make use of the prepaid code paths, but that’s not possible for fresh accounts.

We’re in the final testing phases of monzo.me for account that were never on Prepaid, if nothing goes wrong it will be rolling out to everyone very soon!

8 Likes

There are two ways we can do that :slight_smile:

In most cases we can just refund the amount back to your top-up cards :+1: This is usually takes a few days and then it appears back in the account it came from.

In other cases, maybe where you’ve topped up large amounts my bank transfer into your prepaid card, or if your top-up card is now deactivated we can send this back via Bank Transfer. This takes a bit longer I’m afraid :frowning:

Out of curiosity (I’ve upgrade, so it won’t affect me): How? I read some people have used other people’s cards to top up. Will you just refund to the last used card? The most used card? Will you ask which one the refund should go to? Opens a whole can of worms, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Is there an estimate on when people without photo ID can register?

1 Like

That’s not how it works with segregated/protected client money. There is almost no circumstance in which you can say “oh well, too late”. They’ll need to hold onto the funds for most likely 5-10 years.

As those customers provided those funds to Wirecard, not Monzo, I don’t think they’ll even be able to move the funds to Monzo, so they’ll have to maintain a relationship with Wirecard for years.

3 Likes

I wonder if the ‘Dormant Bank Accounts Act’ applies here?

I’m not sure that would apply, as they are not bank accounts. I don’t think they would fall under this definition:

Based on:

“Contactless prepaid Mastercard®” refers to the Monzo Mastercard® Prepaid Debit card. Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated. The Card is issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd (“WDCS”) pursuant to licence by Mastercard International Inc. WDCS is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to conduct electronic money service activities under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (Ref: 900051).

It’s an “electronic money service”… so what that really means, hard to say.

1 Like

Have you messaged in-app support? I seem to remember reading elsewhere on this forum that while there isn’t a standard method for registering without photo ID, the COps team can handle this on a case-by-case basis. I don’t think there’s a list of accepted non-photo ID, but they will work with you to prove your ID. That’s my understanding/impression.

1 Like

Thanks again for the reply.

I guess I’m asking to possibly explain it to all users as the topic doesn’t
seem to be mentioned in the original post. While I wish everyone would
upgrade, you can’t just assume that, all in all you know the numbers better
than anyone else.

I only have approx 6 quid on my card, so no big deal for me as I’ll be
spending them if I decide not to uograde, but your answer doesn’t cover a
lot of exceptions and possible scenarios, i.e. money I have on my prepaid
Monzo coming from monzo.me, top ups made by friends cards as and when they
owe me money, the case you’ve mentioned of top up cards expired, etc.

In general I suppose you should ask users how they want to be refunded and
include a proper explanation to the community, unless you know already it’s
only me raising the question and facing a possible issue.

Best,
G