One more thing

Trading in my 2017 MacBook Pro and using the education discount means I can get a new MacBook Air for £670 which seems like a pretty good deal.

£329 (less, even with education discount; assuming you’re going for the £999 entry level model) doesn’t seem great value for a 2017 MBP. You could probably even sell a 2017 iPhone for more than that

1 Like

Before you commit to Apple, check other trade in sites.

Apple offered men £100 gift card for my 5 year old MacBook. Mazuma offered £280.

1 Like

I agree £270 isn’t great for the old MacBook, but even as a bare minimum £670 for the new air seems reasonable value to me.

Mazuma offering £360 vs £270 at Apple. Cheers

1 Like

Have a look at Music Magpie as well. They offer the most of the “easy sale” sites for tech in my experience.

Weren’t they the ones that smashed @Revels iPhone camera? :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

We’re sorry but this MacBook is bent in half. Will you accept £2 and a packet of crisps?

No it isn’t, send it back!

bends Mac in half and puts it in return envelope

1 Like

The reviews of the M1 devices have started to appear.

They looking intriguing…

1 Like

The Verge literally would have given it a ten except for the crappy webcam.

What’s frustrating to me is that the review units all seem to have 16GB of RAM and more storage. I really wish they’d have the confidence to hand out base models.

I don’t think the RAM allocations would have made much difference for the usual suite of synthetic benchmarks and I’d imagine Final Cut Pro is optimised enough that it’ll just cache more to the SSD instead of holding it in RAM.

1 Like

I don’t really care about the benchmarks. More about real world use with several apps and however many chrome tabs etc going at once.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think there is enough RAM on the planet to satisfy Chrome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:eyes:

7 Likes

There are a few video ones on lesser know channels with 8GB ones. Or on macrumors forum where people are offering their device for test cases for people and outlining their spec etc.

Additionally I’ve seen tests with the pro using 100 tabs in chrome before stuttering & the Air around 75.

These tests are done on non-M1 optimised Chrome which came out yesterday

Which Mini is this? I’m considering a mini :eyes:

It’s a base model M1. It’ll piss all over the MacBook Pro it’s replacing and is less than half the price.

Itching to get home and get it going.

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes. I think I’ll be getting one and a nice ultra wide monitor too!

I was planning to just stick to Safari but can’t resist checking it out.

1 Like

Update: it does indeed piss all over my 2017 MacBook Pro.

All the fawning hype in the various reviews is somehow real.

It is genuinely difficult to keep in mind that these are Apple’s entry-level computers.

2 Likes