Octopus agile

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Isn’t there a referral thread for referrals? I could be wrong but I believe you are supposed to post it there not create threads to gain them.

There is also a Energy Supplier thread too.

4 Likes

Seem to be more expensive than Bulb, for me at least.

I’m not so sure for me anymore. I really like Bulb though, and I’ve generated a sense of loyalty to them, that I previously never understood people having for the big six. I just love their approach to the energy market and their transparency in relation to prices.

I need to do a more up to date comparison with MSE, update my location and increased usage, because the rates are very similar to British Gas now, and I know it’s possible to do a lot better than British Gas. I am very reluctant to leave Bulb though, so the competing energy company would need to offer 100% renewable, better customer support, and be substantially cheaper for me to consider leaving at this point.

I am a customer of both Bulb and Octopus, and I can say that Octopus easily beat Bulb on the Customer Service front.

1 Like

Remember to factor in the £100 credit and the rates shown for the standard tariff which is more expensive than what the agile tariff works out, for me anyways it works ot at around 9p per unit averaged over the month.

It appears my link has been removed which I can fully understand, I wasn’t sure if i was allowed to post referrals or not, apparently not although this seems strange to me as that was the main method that monzo used to achieve greatness but it’s OK, I’m not bitter…

If you would like my referral code I’ll happily message you it.

I’ve posted about this previously, but I’m a big fan of the Octopus Agile tariff.

We’ve more than halved the cost of our electricity by shifting the majority of our consumption to overnight, and avoiding the peak hours of 1600-1900. This has the added bonus of reducing our carbon footprint as the off-peak hours are generally higher in renewable energy.

You have to be willing to adapt your energy use though and so it’s not for everybody.

If you are on Agile then I’d recommend downloading the Octopus Watch app (It’s a 99p/month subscription on the App Store) and it makes it really easy to view the daily pricing, your consumption and your carbon footprint.

1 Like

It’s hard to believe the savings until you experience them, I can genuinely see that this method would help the country meet carbon tafgets and save people a fortune in the process…

I do have the watch app, i initially only done the monthly sub but have upgraded to the annual sub to save a few quid. :slight_smile:

Thanks both for the extra Octopus details! It’s something I’ll consider in the future. I presume this tariff relies on a certain type of smart meter? If so, will Octopus be at the behest of the same third party for installations/roll out?

If so, we’re not actually due for installs in our area any time within the next 24 months, according to Bulb. In fact, based on postcode, they don’t expect to start reaching remote areas like mine until well into 2025 at the earliest (we’ll be one of the last areas to start getting smart meters. I guess because we would make a tiny fraction of a fraction of a percentage point in terms of installs.

I’ve just done my MSE comparison with updated details, and Bulb still remain cheapest for me for 100% renewable energy that meet to rest of my criteria too. Octopus are quite a bit more expensive, though it doesn’t show me the agile tariff. Only one tariff was cheaper(£44), but seem a fairly new and small company, and these usually quickly up their prices on joining from my experience prior to bulb. So I think I’ll be sticking with Bulb for now.

Octopus have started resuming Smart Meter installations - you do have to have a SMETS 2 or a compatible SMETS 1!

1 Like

And to give you an idea of the average price and the high and max for Agile follow https://twitter.com/energystatsuk?s=21 on Twitter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Dan!

Had a brief look at that data. If I were still living alone, I could easily save a fortune on that tariff, as I don’t use very much any energy at all during the peak times because I’m usually working on my laptop, with most other appliances turned off, except perhaps at the weekend.

But I think I would need to be doing a lot of convincing my tv addicted cohabitants to change some of their habits as they seem to use every high use appliance during those peak hours, then sleep early, and work during the day. :sweat_smile:

The problem with comparing tariffs on those sites is that they don’t compare the agile tariff, my average for the past couple of months has been under 10p per kW, so it’s easily brats every other tariff out there and that’s with minimal effort at dodging the expensive times.

Also consider that if you were to use my link you’d get 100 credit which has a pretty big impact on savings. :slight_smile:

Please keep referrals to the referral thread :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah the Agile tariff does indeed look very good, as long as you adapt.
Where I can see myself saving especially over the Winter is we use oil radiators to top up the Cra**y oil Central heating.
I’m just currently in the middle of switching to Octopus onto the Tracker tariff initially then will arrange for Smart Meter before jumping onto Agile.

Looking forward to it

My experience of the Agile tarried so far (no electric vehicle or heating) is yes I do save a bit (probably tens of pounds a year).

The billing system however is a bit problematic, before switching to a smart meter I just submitted a reading once a month and got the bill the next working day. With the smart meter I now have to email them for them to generate a bill, which isn’t ideal

The smart meter on gas has never worked (it’s out of range of electric meter), but once this was realised I was switched back to submitting a reading each month which works fine