O2 Outage

So many people have been asking for compensation. I’ve been so close to just giving them 30p out of the till :joy:

3 Likes

2 days worth is pretty good.

Honestly though… some of the complaints on the BBC… “I couldn’t bid on eBay” :expressionless:

1 Like

Imagine if it had been the day before during crowdfunding :cold_sweat:

1 Like

I couldn’t use Barclays contactless mobile… Once you reboot you HAVE to login to use your card again on the phone… (no data, no login) not the best implementation of contactless payments ever. :rofl:

I’m leaving Giffgaff soon so charity can have it.

1 Like

#firstworldproblems

1 Like

Same, I just signed up with iD this morning… (not because of the internet errors) I have set my payback points to go to charity.

1 Like

The problem is that the outage period is not equivalent to 1/30th of costs on monthly plans. Monthly plans come with a data allowance that expires at the end if unused, so you can no longer divide the monthly price by 30 and count one day of outage equivalent to 1/30th of the monthly costs - it could very well be that the user was saving their entire data allowance to use it on that day, and due to the outage they couldn’t make use of it.

The user now had to use alternative means of getting online on that day (buying a SIM from a different carrier), and are stuck with an unused data allowance on their main plan (that they couldn’t use during the outage) which they can’t resell or keep for the next month either; so they lost up to the entire monthly price of their plan instead of just 1/30th.

1 Like

Cor, that’s one hell of a stretch :joy: - But I like your style when it comes to negotiations!

I personally think a day or two for free is fair (but if someone had a very specific issue, which was documented and approved, I’d understand more compensation on a case by case basis).

The reality is that the majority of people won’t have been affected greatly (outside of the fact they couldn’t use their data services).

Yet I’m expecting to see many more “Because I had no data… I couldn’t do X, which cost me Y” stories to come out!

1 Like

Yet I’m expecting to see many more “Because I had no data… I couldn’t do X, which cost me Y” stories to come out!

I’m indeed amazed by how greatly people have been affected… like is there no Wi-Fi near you? Can’t you just walk into any shop and pick up a pay and go SIM from a different carrier?

The worst is infrastructure that relies on this, like bus times displays, etc - why are those on a cellular network to begin with (they are hardwired into power - why not just bring a DSL/fiber line up to them, and not waste cellular airtime?), and also why aren’t they using a SIM that can connect to any network?

Card terminals aren’t much better - the merchant already has Wi-Fi in the shop, why not just use this instead of wasting cellular spectrum, time (card terminals often use GPRS and connect only when necessary so it’s super slow) and money (someone has to pay for that SIM card)?

The buses can’t transmit the data via a cable and it’s not really cost effective to fiber every bus stop is it hence doing it the way they do.

2 Likes

it’s not really cost effective to fiber every bus stop is it hence doing it the way they do.

They manage to put power in there somehow, right? Why can’t they run a fiber or DSL cable alongside?

Worst case scenario, at least use a SIM that can attach to any network.

1 Like

Chances are they would have pulled the power from a nearby street lamp and they probably could run a DSL line but what if one was not near the stop in question?

2 Likes

Eh… I think that’s a slight stretch of what is probably a 0.0000001% chance. If that one person has that issue I’m sure O2 can sort it out for them.

Exactly what I think. To every point.

1 Like

I wonder if I could get compensation for having to hear about O2 for a whole day :joy:

4 Likes

For some critical systems that must be definitely the case. However if we had national roaming (has been discussed before in the UK) and o2 users suddenly were all switched to EE and three, that could have brought down all of the networks due to load…

My nightmares are coming true. We’re turning into the US!

7 Likes

It wasn’t o2 that messed up though so how will it stop them doing it again?

1 Like

They wont because it’s not the first time Ericsson caused an issue with their network and they still work with them