O2/Monzo Student Offer

I would think that Monzo is working with them too behind the scenes but obviously it’s a very large task getting the current account working and I’m glad that they are doing that and focussing on their own great product.

I do worry that other companies like Starling are trying to juggle too many things at once. For example Tandem had to make some redundancies http://uk.businessinsider.com/tandem-bank-redundancies-burn-rate-2017-3.

It is an interesting strategy, part of me thinks the monzo strategy will work better in the long term, its far better in my mind to show people a great product by getting it into as many peoples hands as possible (whether that is masquerading initially as a prepaid card) than to have a great product that does a lot but isn’t marketed as effectively.

Thats just my view anyway

…plus hot coral

1 Like

Ridiculous argument.

Most if not all them offer rolling monthly sim only deals.

You cant expect them to give you a brand new phone then cancel a month later

Also “If their products are so good why would they need contracts anyway” what a stupid statement.

3 Likes

rolling monthly sim only deals

That they hide as much as possible as they don’t count towards the store’s sales targets. (I wonder why - maybe their service is so bad they know people will leave so soon that they don’t even bother counting them into the sales targets?)

You cant expect them to give you a brand new phone then cancel a month later

I’m talking about the SIM part. The phone can stay on a normal credit agreement but there’s no valid point why you should also be locked into the network plan. It doesn’t cost them anything to cancel those (unlike fixed line broadband where an engineer has to be on-site to connect you so contracts kinda make sense).

Also “If their products are so good why would they need contracts anyway” what a stupid statement.

Provide your arguments then. I stated mine in my earlier posts if you’re interested. By the way, Monzo has no contracts and seems to be doing fine (so fine there’s a queue for it) so it seems like the statement isn’t that stupid. :wink:

1 Like

Well I think this is great advertising for Monzo… gets the name out a bit more…

4 Likes

I threaten to leave them [Virgin Media] annually as part of the bartering process to get a good deal :grin:

Funnily enough, I recently moved and bartered only 6 months into the contract. They announced a price rise, legally then I was free to leave early so used that to my advantage. First phone call could only offer to cancel the planned £3/month increase. Said I’d like to proceed with cancellation and then got a call from their retentions department 2 days later which ended up saving me around £14/month over the next year. :tada:

2 Likes

I love how we’re a society that has to either switch or haggle yearly with companies and get a reduced price, or stay and get an inflated price.

Anyhow, I think this is a good match up - but the header text “a Monzo card with £30 credit” sounds like it’s some gift voucher scheme, not a bank account.

1 Like

Ohhh I like that. I’ve never gone quite as far but my contract ends next week. I’m gonna take it to the edge…

Very well put… This is what I had in mind I felt it looked bit of cheap way to be in hands of more people. Just as sky saying sign up and get £50 free sky bet credit

1 Like

I agree though I’d also disagree with prepaid card as it gives off the wrong impression.

For me something like “a Monzo card loaded with £30 cash” would be most appropriate

I’m quite pleased Monzo are doing this sort of thing with the likes of O2. Good for them.

Hopefully it will lead to more offers with big brands not only aimed at students. Something for serving and retired armed forces would be good as well as emergency services etc.

I know there is one thread asking for a Monzo/O2 Priority hook up so maybe this will open the door to something like that in the future.

1 Like

Was that the RPI price rise?

No, it was around a 8-10% price increase to my broadband. Still, it gave me the opportunity to get a discount earlier than usual.

The key thing is to cancel your services and not accept what they offer on the initial phone call. The cancellation takes 30 days so it’s not as if you’ll get cut off after the call. You’ll then get a phone call back in a few days from somebody who can offer you better deals. Spend 10 minutes in advance seeing what deals you can get elsewhere and say you’re leaving because that deal saves you £x per year compared to Virgin. Then wait for them to offer a better deal. Simple.

(If for some obscure reason they don’t offer you a deal you can call again and cancel the cancellation. That’s never happened to me though).

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.