Number of Monzo Users

Some don’t top up, but there are also Android users in that queue number :slight_smile: So as soon as we can give Android users cards, the number won’t go down quite as fast (so get in quick :wink: )

2 Likes

I’m still at 74k something! Can I get it faster if I put the £100 now?!! :laughing:

2 Likes

Hi! I was wondering what is the current number of users?

1 Like

Maybe it would be an idea to have some sort of page displaying a live number of Monzo users - purely for curiosity! As a unique number is issued to each user, this shouldn’t be too difficult to implement.

2 Likes

That would be cool :slight_smile:

In the meantime, the best way to check this number, that I know of is to search Twitter for the “I’m user no. x” tweets that Monzo users are prompted to send from the app, when they finish setting up their account -

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q="i'm%20user"%20"on%20%40monzo"&src=typd

The tweets are pretty sporadic unfortunately but the latest, from November 8th, showed Monzo has just under 70k users…

Thought I’d post this, as my search query (that’s built into the above link) wouldn’t pick this tweet up.

:tada: :tada: :tada:

6 Likes

Interesting the prevalence of cards I’ve seen in several cities if there’s only 80,000 active floating about out there! Although I guess that could be tied to the circles I move in :thinking:

…or the fact they Hot Coral so easy to spot. If they were navy blue or black they would be hard to spot

1 Like

It took a few months before I saw another one out in the wild but I’m definitely seeing more and more around. I’m not including my Wife’s in the mix either. Mainly because I rarely see that one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m still on the lookout for a fellow Monzonaught! :wink: Too many people are stuck with boring banks haha

It would seem that London is your best bet to see one.

Following on from Kieran’s post today, I thought I’d chart the growth of the number of Monzo users :nerd:

Here’s what I’ve come up with -

Taken from -

Following on from Kieran’s comment -

The forecast shows Monzo hitting 100,000 users by the end of January / beginning of February :hushed:

A couple of caveats; there’s some big gaps in the data & the forecast clearly isn’t precise either (hence the first data point starting below the current number of users).

Obviously this doesn’t enable us to do a meaningful assessment of user adoption, without usage data. But it’s interesting to get a sense of how Monzo’s ramped up marketing / sales efforts are having an impact on user growth.

I’ll try to remember to keep the spreadsheet updated :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That doesn’t look quite right! :laughing:

It’s not!

:stuck_out_tongue:

The actual user numbers for the 16th may have been compiled after the forecast on the 17th, i.e. figures provided on the 18th for 2 days back

… D’oh. Sorry!

(reaching char req)

1 Like

Out of interest, is anyone aware of a strategy for the quantity of users Monzo want to onboard at the pre-paid card stage? Or is it simply ‘as quickly and as many as possible’?

1 Like

@eplaskow Yep! To put simply, as many as we possibly can :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just to share a bit more of the backstory :classical_building: - Tom’s said that they were only expecting to sign up a few thousand users at the most, before the launch of the ‘full bank’ & current accounts. And my guess is that this is what Starling (the most similar ‘challenger’ bank to Monzo in terms of the business model, who have taken a very secretive approach, has ended up with).

But a combination of being open (community, blog posts, office open days, presentations), the hot coral card, p2p payments creating a network effect, a strong fintech scene, using the right tone in their content / social media etc. etc. etc. has meant that there’s been far more interest than expected which is how Monzo’s ended up with so many more users.

So following on from Naji’s comment, this has led to Monzo proactively stepping up their sales / marketing efforts, culminating in the week long Old Street shopping event / marketing campaign at the end of this year -

:movie_camera: :arrow_down:

& also raising more money from investors, to help pay for the increased operating costs & I would guess to also fund more marketing.

The plan for next year is for Monzo to double the size of their team but their target will be to increase the number of Monzo users at least several times over. Obviously rapid growth in terms of users is one of the key signals that investors are looking for :rocket:

7 Likes

If I remember rightly they got 16 times the number of card holders they had estimated for the beta

3 Likes