New phone advice

Reported, thanks :+1:t4:
Defo dodgy if you read the reviews

https://www.trustedshops.co.uk/buyerrating/info_XE8E6CFC590F533A029B085505A47C349.html

1 Like

Anyone buying the new SE ?

Nope, my iPhone X still works ok for me.

Almost certainly. I currently have a 6S and am very happy with the price of the SE.

But will likely wait until social distancing restrictions have eased. Not much point of me getting a new phone when spending almost all my time at home.

1 Like

Now is the best time to buy gadgets when you’ve got loads of time to play with them!

For some gadgets yes. But this is an iPhone. Not really any different to my existing iPhone from a user experience perspective.

I think this is a good idea for a number of reasons but not least because retailers are absolutely going to be fighting for your money when things open up again. I anticipate there are going to be good deals to be had.

Always looking for the sliver of silver lining!

According to iTunes on my pc my music is 9.05GB but on my iPhone in the storage section it says music 9.7GB

The music found matches both on iTunes and phone. So there’s the same amount on each

any ideas ?

Do you use any music subscription services on your iPhone that may have downloaded or cached some music files for local playback? iOS will count music streaming apps downloads as music storage too. It may also be that you could have some music files saved in iCloud Drive that have been cached on your device too.

Some devices also calculate GBs differently too, although the differences between those amounts is too large for that to be the explanation.

1 Like

I know, 700mb is pretty large.

Ok so after some research, iTunes on windows is in gigabyte but music on the iPhone is gibibyte. ( or vice versa )

9.7 gigabyte is the same as 9.04 gibibyte according to google. That explains it :+1:t4::+1:t4:

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know! I didn’t even think to consider the possible use of GiB, but I’m glad that solves it for you!

1 Like

I have an iPhone 7 with iCloud enabled for photos . Does this mean all my photos are stored in the cloud and not my phone now ?

Not an iPhone user, but had a family member who deleted all their photos off their phone because they had iCloud enabled, only to find that this had also deleted them from iCloud as well as the phone.

Which is to say, it seems a bit complicated! Had a Google, maybe reading this will help?

Seems pretty clear:

The upshot of this is that any photos deleted from your iPhone will also be deleted from your iCloud Photo library.

If it’s storage space that you’re worried about, there is a section on “How to save space on your iPhone keeping photos in iCloud”

1 Like

Thanks dude I have done some googling but it’s a difficult one.
Surely the iClouds purpose is to save storage on the phone but apparently they are linked and if one gets deleted then they both do

I’ll have to do some more googling later

iCloud photos is not an archival service. It’s really a sync service. However it can save device space if you set it to “optimise device storage”. When this setting is used and device space is low it will keep only lower quality versions of the photos on the device with the full quality versions on iCloud.

But deleting a photo will still lead to deleting everywhere.

I think Apple’s own documentation on iCloud photos is very clear

5 Likes

Make sure you use the Books app and get

4 Likes

All my relatives who have an iPhone use Google photos (as I do on Android) - free unlimited photo backup and means they never get close to the iCloud free limit.

Amazing way to share albums etc as well - tell it who is in the photo and it automatically adds to an album others can look at it. Great for the little people and there grandparents!

With the caveat that it’s bad for privacy, which is a very important factor for me.

4 Likes

But then storing your photos online full stop is bad.

Unfortunately on the digital age if you go online all privacy has gone.

I agree to an extent, but I think we get to a point where we start confusing privacy with security. Privacy, in the end, boils down to trust. For instance, I trust Apple to respect and protect my privacy more than I do google on the basis of their respective privacy policies. So I’m more comfortable using iCloud for photos and backups, though I’m aware of iCloud’s issues in regards to the method of encryption they use to keep that data secure

2 Likes