New font

I think it’s accidental - there’s a few places where the old font was being used that have quietly swapped to the new font. Mostly things on the Help tab (on a closer look, Help articles have the title in new font and the article body in old font :crazy_face:).

The list of scheduled subscriptions/DDs on the Payments tab is a weird mix of both fonts.

And now that I’ve just looked at the bottom tab bar, that’s in the old font too.

1 Like

I like the new font a lot - it looks ‘fresh’ to my eyes
(on Android it seems to be consistent throughout the app)

3 Likes

Now that I’ve seen some other people’s thoughts I realise it could be the fact that there is pages that has both fonts at the same time that causes me to dislike it so much, although I still don’t like the way the new numbers look, so we’ll see as time goes on. Interesting to see im not alone in disliking it but also that quite a few of you actually like it.

1 Like

The font weight feels light. I wish the strokes had more width to them. For the identical height. Or possibly wider spacing between glyths.

1 Like

Loving the amount of typography experts in the community :joy: change is good, you’ll live

Really? I had assumed the change of font was somehow terminal?

1 Like

Yep that’s it, imma go find a bank with times new roman now

1 Like

Looks cheap.
Like the trade screen font in late '90 PC RPGs.

You don’t have to be an expert to know if you like something or not, or if it helps or hinders your reading speed :wink:

Plus, many designers in many app-based projects and organisations are no ‘experts’ either; design is an opinion-based matter, you can claim you conform to all modern standards or whatever all you want, but unless you have actually run scientific trials to show that design A is more usable than design B in some measurable way, it’s all opinion-based, as you can see by the amount of people liking/disliking any design in any app in online fora around the world.

1 Like

Is it just me who can’t even tell the font has changed? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I like it, mainly from an accessibility point of view, I’m dyslexic, so very alert to fonts and how readable they are, and this san serif is right in my wheelhouse, letter with a bit more curve to them are easier for me to read, along with the spacing. It’s very Verdana in it’s look, which again is a preferred font for me and find it easier than Helvetica.

1 Like

Probably not - it’s subtle in places - but that’s the point, the main identifier is on a lower case “L” the bottom part is curved (serif?), instead of just a simple vertical line.

1 Like

The tail on the l and the descender on the ‘y’ are the big give aways. The ‘a’ also has a little flick to its tail.

A lot of the characters are strikingly similar to San Francisco.

(Red: monzo sans - blue: san francisco)

4 Likes

Can you do a comparison against wingdings, comic sans, times new roman and Helvetica please? :eyes:

1 Like

Absolutely not.

5 Likes

I feel like not calling it Sans Francisco was a missed opportunity

3 Likes

In lower case there is a noticeable difference from SF Pro for me, spacing in Monzo Sans is bigger on all letters, and capital is similar but the curves are rounder on Monzo Sans

1 Like

Yeah I did space out SF Pro a bit for the comparison.

If I keep SF Pro at its default tracking it looks super cramped compared to Monzo Sans

Is Monzo Sans proprietary? Had it been uploaded onto some database?

1 Like

Oh I remorselessly ripped the webfont from the monzo website and converted it to a truetype font for doing my own sick experiments.

Totally normal thing for a customer to spend time doing.

12 Likes